Help a Newb decide on New System!

mayonline

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm a bit of a newb at all this audio stuff, so please bear with me! Currently I have a 'pants' 5.1 system, which is more of a cheap toy really and needs replacing. I think I have worked out what I need (detailed below), but wanted to run it by you experts to avoid any school boy errors. Essentially, I'm looking to find out if what I've detailed would meet my requirements or whether you'd suggest anything different?(posting as 3 separate messages as I'm strugling to format this nicely!)

mayonline

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Here is what I am thinking....
  • Amp - Yamaha R-N602
  • Main Speakers (lounge) - Dali Zensor 7 floor standing
  • Secondary Speakers (kitchen) - Maybe 2 x WX-030 multicast?? (see question 3 and 4 below)
  • Sub Woofer - maybe Dali Sub E-9F or E-12F?? (see question 5 and 6 below)

mayonline

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
MY REQUIREMENTS The system will be used mainly for music in our lounge/kitchen and so I've decided to go for stereo HiFi not AVR 1. However, I still want to plug my Sky/TV setup into the amp which I understand isn't an issue using an optical in? I use Spotify and iTunes mainly on iPhone and iPad and so Spotify Connect and Airplay is a must. However, I also have a Windows 7 laptop (with wireless). 2. Will this laptop be able to use Spotify Connect and Airplay to connect itunes and Spotify to the Amp? I don't see why it wouldn't work, although I read this only works on mobile devices, not a Win 7 laptop ? I would like to have a second set of speakers (preferably wired) in our kitchen so the amp will need to support this. I understand this can be done with two speaker outs and an A/B button. However I would like to be able to control the volumes of both sets of speakers independently. 3. Am I right in thinking that a wireless speaker (eg Yamaha Multicast WX-030) can do this as it has its own volume? 4. What about wired speakers? Could I adjust the volume independently via the amps app maybe or some other way? I want floor standing speakers. These would need to be fairly close to the wall. According to 'What HiFi' review the Zensors can be 5cm close which is fine. I would like to option to have a sub woofer. I listen to lots of genres (including House and D&B). 5. Maybe this wouldn't be needed with the Zensor 7 speakers? 6. If you think it would be, can this be tucked away in the corner of the room maybe? Oh and the lounge is 3.7m x 7m If you need any other info, please let me know and Many thanks for your input!PS Apologies I have been unable to get the line spacing/formatting to work Cheers :)

insider9

Hi, Looks like you've done a good bit of research. On paper what you've listed should work. Demo would be necessary to make sure you enjoy the setup. Preferably a home demo. Most dealers shouldn't have a problem with that.

To answer some of your questions.

1. Yes, you will be able to connect your TV setup via optical.

2. You will be able to use your iPhone or Windows 7 laptop to connect via Airplay (using iTunes) or Spotify Connect. They work really well. I'm not entirely sure whether Yamaha allows independent volume by zone on this receiver. Yamaha Musiccast app is decent but has it's shortcomings. I'd suggest downloading it and playing with it in demo mode.

3. Wireless speakers would have independent volume controlled by the app. Would give more flexibility at a cost. Wired solution could probably provide better sound quality for equivalent cost but would make it more difficult and less flexible with long cable runs.

4. Not sure about zones on this receiver. Dalis should work but I'd want a home demo to confirm you like them and whether they're suitable for your room.

5. Sub would probably be not needed as Dalis should provide enough lower end.

6. Depending on the sub

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If it were me I'd go similar but maybe put more emphasis on the amp. I'd look at that wxc50 streamer and maybe connect to a Yamaha as501. I think this would make a more confident set up than the rn601. Just a thought.

Maybe look at Q acoustics 2050i and 3050 also as well as monitor audio bronze 5 and Dali 5 just to give options. I personally wouldn't want a sub, but that's a personal choice

gasolin

Consider nad,marantz and yamaha with Q Acoustics

Mission LX sounds good to me with marantz, wharfedale diamond might also sound good with marantz (same company like vw and audi or denon/marantz)

I would rather spend the money on the main speakers than on a subwoofer

like buying the dali zensor 7 instead of the 5's or MA Bronze 6 instead of the 5's

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
mayonline said:
MY REQUIREMENTS                  
The system will be used mainly for music in our lounge/kitchen and so I've decided to go for stereo HiFi not AVR     1. However, I still want to plug my Sky/TV setup into the amp which I understand isn't an issue using an optical in?                                    

I use Spotify and iTunes mainly on iPhone and iPad and so Spotify Connect and Airplay is a must.  However, I also have a Windows 7 laptop (with wireless).     2. Will this laptop be able to use Spotify Connect and Airplay to connect itunes and Spotify to the Amp?  I don't see why it wouldn't work, although I read this only works on mobile devices, not a Win 7 laptop ?                                    

I would like to have a second set of speakers (preferably wired) in our kitchen so the amp will need to support this.  I understand this can be done with two speaker outs and an A/B button.  However I would like to be able to control the volumes of both sets of speakers independently.      3. Am I right in thinking that a wireless speaker (eg Yamaha Multicast WX-030) can do this as it has its own volume?       4.  What about wired speakers?  Could I adjust the volume independently via the amps app maybe or some other way?                           

I want floor standing speakers.  These would need to be fairly close to the wall.  According to 'What HiFi' review the Zensors can be 5cm close which is fine.                 

I would like to option to have a sub woofer.  I listen to lots of genres (including House and D&B).    5.  Maybe this wouldn't be needed with the Zensor 7 speakers?   6.  If you think it would be, can this be tucked away in the corner of the room maybe?                     

Oh and the lounge is 3.7m x 7m

If you need any other info, please let me know and Many thanks for your input!
PS Apologies I have been unable to get the line spacing/formatting to work

Cheers :) [/quoted] good choice.dali has lots of bass you will not need a sub

mayonline

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response muljao.

I don't really get pre-amps and how they work. I had a quick look at the amp combo you suggest however. Would you please explain why you think they'd be better.

As for the Acoustic speakers, I'm sure What HiFi reviews says they need to be away from the wall by about 20cm, which won't work for me. I'll take a look at the monitor audio's.

Thank you

mayonline

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Seemore

All the responses have mentioned no sub woofer is required and so maybe the surplus cash can be spent on better stuff!

Appreciated

mayonline

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Seemore

All the responses have mentioned no sub woofer is required and so maybe the surplus cash can be spent on better stuff!

Appreciated

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
mayonline said:
Thanks for the response muljao.

I don't really get pre-amps and how they work. I had a quick look at the amp combo you suggest however. Would you please explain why you think they'd be better.

As for the Acoustic speakers, I'm sure What HiFi reviews says they need to be away from the wall by about 20cm, which won't work for me. I'll take a look at the monitor audio's.

Thank you

I've read a bit about the RN602 and it seems good. I considered buying one. But I have also read a few reports from people who bought one and ended up changing it out for a dedicated amp. The thing with the 602 is it has an amp and other various bits in together. A dedicated amp can be better within certain budget restrictions of course. I am not saying that the 602 driving the dali7 wouldn't sound good, but I think for a speaker in that price range, it might be better to go a little better on the amp.

As for 20cm from a wall, I cant imagine any floorstander not needing at least this much room behind them to sound good, I may be wrong but they normally need breathing space.

The wxc50 i recommended gives all the other functions other than amplification that the 602 has, but in a seperate box.

Whatever about any other recommendations here, be sure your speakers will work where you want them or you could end up spending lots of money but not being to happy

rainsoothe

Hi. Try to audition the stuff you're considering, especially amp and speakers, preferably in your space. Imo, the Dali floorstanders have a bit of an overblown, slow bass. Yamaha amps I listened (the AS 500, 801 and 3000) seem to have more or less the same problem (especially the 500, which I heard for a more extended session) - soft, diffuse bass. Marrying them with Dali might sound a bit off. But, then again, YOU might like it - so that's why you have to audition.

For multi-room, you should at least consider some kind of Sonos setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts