Question Hello...I am wanting to stream from my NAD receiver to a second room in our apartment

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
I have a NAD receiver, Bryston/OPPO cd/dvd players and regular speakers set up in TV room. Want to stream content to living room. Have looked at Sonos Amp, Node2i, I don't have enough experience to make a choice. Any guidance much appreciated. PS, we are a retired couple, so would like simplicity, lol
Redwing

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
The first thing to think about is:

- can you run a cable between the two rooms?

if you can, then your receiver may have the functionality to send a wired signal to a second zone.

If hard wiring is out of the question then the Sonos route would be to connect your receiver (from pre-amp out or another analogue out) to a Sonos Port via an RCA cable. This would allow you to stream the amp’s output to another Sonos speaker or Sonos amp in your living room. It’s quite a pricey solution!

Bluesound would be a similar route but I’m not as familiar with that brand. NAD and Bluesound are part of the same parent company so I think some NAD amps can be expanded to add Bluesound functionality.

Both Sonos and Bluesound are very well reviewed. I can only speak of the Sonos app which is very easy to use and reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redwing1950

jjbomber

I have a NAD receiver, Bryston/OPPO cd/dvd players and regular speakers set up in TV room. Want to stream content to living room. Have looked at Sonos Amp, Node2i, I don't have enough experience to make a choice. Any guidance much appreciated. PS, we are a retired couple, so would like simplicity, lol
Redwing

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, are you looking for a real hi-fi sound, or just a bluetooth speaker? Dynaudio for the former, bluetooth sender and speaker for the latter, loads of choices in between.

Gray

The first thing to think about is:

- can you run a cable between the two rooms?

if you can, then your receiver may have the functionality to send a wired signal to a second zone.
If I was doing it, the above would be my preferred option.
Depending on location (say with equipment on either side of a dividing wall) the cable need not even be visible.
As a bonus, it could also be very inexpensive.
What, if any, audio equipment have you got in the second room at present?
Can you confirm that your NAD receiver has RCA sockets marked, 'Tape Out' or 'Rec Out'?

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi there...thanks for the replies...
I have a NAD C725BEEE receiver which is hooked up to a Bryston CD player, an OPPO dvd player and our TV. The receiver runs two Nola bookshelf speakers....
On the back of the receiver are TAPE OUT RCA sockets and on the front of the receiver is a selector so you can choose which input to "Record". Presumably I can use this output to connect to a BlueTooth unit.
What I think I will get is the Bluesound Node2i and hook that up via the Tape Out RCAs. Then in our living room the BlueSound Mini 2i speaker looks good, and for the small kitchen area the Flex 2i speaker.

Hmmm, been reading some reviews of the BlueSound speakers, they dont sound so good, no pun intended....
I do so miss a decent electronics store, oh well 1st world problem...will keep reading...
Redwing

Last edited:

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
DSC07028-1024x390.jpg

Yes looking at a pic, they even call it ‘rec out zone 2’ so the plan will work. Will be costly though if you go down the Sonos / Bluesound route!

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
there is a dying Bose unit that I need to replace ASAP.....it has no wireless or bluetooth, so lets say no...also I am not on any kind of budget, I am a caregiver to wife, so want something that works for her too, $$ no object. We have a small apartment that I did not get wired for sound when we renovated...long nasty story...making do here till.....
I also have this unit: Bose Wave SoundTouch Music System IV which I dont use, but I suppose could be used as a wireless speaker....

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Gray

So can I use the BlueSound Node 2i with the Audio Pro BlueTooth speakers? I am never sure with brands that they will mix and match, lol
Redwing
Yes, nice unit. It's got 2-way Bluetooth - which means that, as well as accepting music transmitted to it from, say a phone, it will also transmit to Bluetooth receiving devices (be they speakers or wireless headphones).
Might be worth checking the transmission range, comparing what it can give to what you may need.
You would connect from your NAD tape outs to the Bluesound analogue input using a lead like this:
The NAD's front panel rec selector would then determine which source goes out to the Bluesound (Which can be the same or different to your main room listening).

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
So I am guessing then that basically any Bluetooth speaker would do, going to read about the WiFi speaker thing too, so much to learn for an old man, lol....thanks for the replies

Found a that the audio store I bought my wonderful Nola speakers from has the Bluesound products, going to audition them Friday....amazing!

love this website BTW...awesome resource....
Red

Last edited:

Gray

So I am guessing then that basically any Bluetooth speaker would do
Yes. You may read that BT is more about convenience than ultimate audio quality.
In other words, not up to CD quality - but not far short.
AptX is the best BT version (possibly AptxHD now? you'll have to read about it).
Can only tell you that I was given an original version Kitsound Hive BT speaker.
Silly little small thing, didn't hold out much hope for its sound....ludicrously good it turned out to be, lasts well after a charge too.
Anyway you've got a massive choice of BT speakers, maybe you need types that stay plugged into the mains.....
Enjoy it all.

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Good afternoon over there....
OK, I have a funny story:
A man walks into a hi fi store sure that the Bluesound Streamer can take an analogue signal from his receiver, convert it to digital and stream that signal to other rooms in his apartment. His is met by consternation and amazement in the sales staff who cannot believe that I would think such a thing...the man leaves the store after 30 minute of hilarious back and forth about levels of misunderstanding....
He can barely walk to the bus stop as he is laughing so much...:)

This is what happened to me today when I went to audition the BlueSound Streamer.
The store staff told me that there is no way I could put an analogue signal into the BlueSound and it would come out digital. It only streams digital signals...

So now I am totally confused by all the replies to my post, nice cup of tea coming up...
Redwing

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I wasn’t sure about the Bluesound Node 2i (as I am more familiar with Sonos) but the product page seems to confirm that it does take an analogue input

Featuring an array of analog and digital input and output options, the NODE 2i gives you infinite playback choices to rule your sonic domain. With the ability to connect to a CD player or turntable, the NODE 2i ensures that your physical music collection continues to thrive. Easily stream your favorite tracks from the source of your choice and hear it anywhere in the home.

Audio Input
Combo - TOSLINK / 3.5mm

So you’d use an rca to 3.5mm cable.

(of course if you went with the Dynaudio option mention above, you wouldn’t need the Bluesound Node, you’d use the Dynaudio Connect)

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that, just talked with another store and they confirm that I can indeed do what we have been talking about, so I am off to buy stuff...:)
Redwing

Gray

Thanks for that, just talked with another store and they confirm that I can indeed do what we have been talking about, so I am off to buy stuff...:)
Redwing
No wonder you're confused.
If we assume those that sell the products know best (a big assumption to make), you've still had two shops giving you conflicting advice.
If they've got one set up in the shop, it would be worth trying it out before purchase.
Would be easy enough for them and could save you potential hassle.

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
yes, the second shop even offer to come install the thing, I put off another trip out today, going to take a leisurely look tomorrow morning, its all very ambiguous, Thanks for the support...'

A post from the BlueSound community board:

Node 2i external cd
Answered

davide alessio
  • 3 months ago

Can I connect an external CD on a Node 2i to rip cds

• Comments

2 comments

Sort by

• Official comment

Wesley P.
    • 3 months ago

Hello Davide,

The Node 2i does not have any ripping functionality. If you are looking for a product to rip and store your CDs, I would suggest looking into a Vault 2i instead.
    With that being said, you could connect an external CD player to your Node 2i to listen to this content through the Node 2i, but again, you will not be able to rip these CDs.
    Regards,
    Wesley P.
Redwing

Last edited:

Redwing1950

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Good Morning!
last week I tried and successfully, mostly, got a streamer set up to play from one room to another. But it seems my apartment building is a hotbed of wifi use, so I get massive dropouts..anyway, techie is coming to see if there is a fix. I like the kit, had the sales guy over already and he had never seen this issue before, said they sell a dozen of these a month...right, lol
This is how BluSound see this issue:

Anyway, just posted my Plan "B"......
its the journey, right??
Redwing in Canada

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts