Hello Everyone, Bit Of Help Please?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Hi-Fi seperates scene. Deciding that it's about time that I bought myself a half descent stereo, Ive done a little research and realised theres a lot, lot more to this than I thought! And a lot that I really don't understand.

My budget isn't high at all (unfortunately), around £800 to £1000 max. Will be my first proper stereo though, plus I have plenty of time to some day get my Mcintosh or Naim!

After a lot of looking around I've found the Marantz Mcr603 Melody Media in a package deal with Q Acoustics 2020i's for just over £500. Which I think seem like a good little package as I've read good reviews for both the receiver and the speaker's.

I'm still undecided on the subwoofer though. I do listen to alot of bass driven music such drum n bass, dubstep as well as listening to many bands and other genres!

Have been looking at the Tannoy Ts2.10 and the Q Acoustics 7000s both of which seem good quality and bassy! But i'm still undecided between the two.

My question is: What subwoofer would you recommend to go with the package I'm thinking of getting, maybe something different altogether? (£400 max really). And what would be the best way to connect the subwoofer to the marantz to get the most effficency/power from it? The LFE input or the phono inputs?

Any help would be much appreciated, thankyou for taking the time to read.

Sam

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maximus123 said:
And what would be the best way to connect the subwoofer to the marantz to get the most effficency/power from it? The LFE input or the phono inputs?

It shouldn't make any difference, they're both line-level inputs. They're virtually the same thing but LFE is specifically for use with a home cinema amp as it's not a full bandwidth channel, the phono inputs will take the bass signal from the both left and right channel and sum them together, although you might find that the CR603 only gives you a mono sub output anyway (I've really no idea to be honest).

A

Anonymous

Welcome, this is a pretty relaxed forum with members with all sorts of aspirations.

your budget is very good, but success will come by keeping it simple. Best advice I got (was cycling related but still relevant) is buy what you need when you discover you need it, so maybe avoid the sub for now.

I would highly recommend booking a demo room at a hifi dealer that you like and get on with. Tell them your music and keep your needs simple and they will help you understand what your preferences are. From your preferences, you can rule out lots of brands and products and narrow down a short list and then make value decision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts