Hello and Help!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, looking for a bit of advice! My girlfriend has just bought me a Pro-ject Debut 2 for my birthday as I have been going on about getting into vinyl for a while and she thought she'd get me something to start with. The problem is I have no idea what to do with it now it has arrived. I've tried doing some research with regards to pre-amps, amps and speakers but have no clue where to begin. I don't have a large budget as I'm just trying to get a feel for it first of all but just looking for some advice on what I need etc.

I assume I need a pre-amp, amp and speakers but even this is a guess and I'm totally out my depth! Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forums! You'll need an amp with a phono stage and a pair of speakers to go with the turntable (nice birthday present BTW :) ) When you say you have a limited budget, what sort of figure do you have in mind?

A

Anonymous

Does that mean it has a pre-amp built in? how would i check this?

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it and get paid friday so want to start getting some use, budget is about £200-250 at the most I think :s

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If you buy an amp with a built-in phono stage (which boosts the incoming signal from the turntable) you'll be fine. The Debut uses a Moving Magnet (MM) connection to the amp, as opposed to a Moving Coil (MC) one, so that's what you need to look out for. The tech specs will tell you whether it has one or not. A budget of £200-£250 for amp and speakers is tight.

The Rotel RA-10 amp at around £300 is a great starter amp and has the necessary MM input. As for speakers, we'd reccomend the likes of the Q Acoustics 2020i at around £150 as an absolute minimum. If that combo is too much, you might look at buying secondhand if you can.

A

Anonymous

OK, thanks for the advice Andy.

So just to summarise, I need an amp with a built in phono stage and MM input? and that negates the need for a pre_amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts