Hegel amp design

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting indeed. However I'd question distortion figures in new amps and how much they really matter. Ultimately even if the amp gives you the least distortion there's so much distortion you can hear from speakers and room interaction that ultimately it matters very little what amp is doing in terms of distortion. I've measured many Class A and AB amps now whether it's £4k or £200 amp audible distortion was determined by that of speakers and room. The only exception was Class D in the same scenario that showed lower distortion figures when measured in the same way. Although it sounded wrong to my ears.

Normally I'd agree with you but when you listen to a Hegel you will hear whats different. Then other amps seem very noisy/grainy etc.

Kinda like going from controlled active back to flabby bass passive

And I've tested hi end naim, Cyrus, sudgen and a few more.

Something is definitely different

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
The ATC's look exciting. And a good place to indulge in for Diy . Just to give a price perspective of what it may cost. Below is the Indian pricing for new PMC drivers for twenty 26. ( hand matched pairs of tweeters and mid range domes. Total 4 drivers ) - 1400 pounds.

May be the prices in UK are more reasonable. Considering that you are getting an excellent cabinet , will be a good place to start with for a active setup, that can gradually be built up as per available time.

Sounds a good idea but ATM I'm all burnt out for DIY projects due to work and circumstances. I do regret not building the Winslow audio k100 while they were still available but just don't have the time or energy ATM.
But I'm willing to spend X amount on my sound over the next 6 months or so
I have a plan
And I know what I want but will have some tests of other good brands/models first.

Those 50 cases would only be of interest to me if I could get them to original ASL standard.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting indeed. However I'd question distortion figures in new amps and how much they really matter. Ultimately even if the amp gives you the least distortion there's so much distortion you can hear from speakers and room interaction that ultimately it matters very little what amp is doing in terms of distortion. I've measured many Class A and AB amps now whether it's £4k or £200 amp audible distortion was determined by that of speakers and room. The only exception was Class D in the same scenario that showed lower distortion figures when measured in the same way. Although it sounded wrong to my ears.

Normally I'd agree with you but when you listen to a Hegel you will hear whats different. Then other amps seem very noisy/grainy etc.

Kinda like going from controlled active back to flabby bass passive

And I've tested hi end naim, Cyrus, sudden and a few more.

Something is definitely different

I feel I get a similar effect with valve amps. A grain-free, almost liquid quality. 

Also interesting as on paper totally different type of distortion but equally musical and enjoyable.

drummerman said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the review of the Emotiva duo is in the latest HifiChoice edition.

Great vfm if the review is to be believed. Don't like the 90's blue display.

This shows what can be done by making stuff in China and aggressive pricing.

After your post I went out and got the HiFi Choice mag. Interesting!

What I also noted in the same publication they review the Exposure XM7 / XM9 combo, a pre/power with only 80 wpc and only a MM phono stage. It does however come in three boxes and has a slightly better DAC installed but that's all. Yours for............. £2624.

No I wonder which one I'd spend my 'hard-earned' on.

Perhaps this is, harking back to a different thread, the cost of manufacturing in Britain. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts