Hegel amp design

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I thought some of you might find this video interesting regards the Hegel amp design.
https://youtu.be/ER_lqNFckxY

Hegel amps are probably the best for the money you can buy imo

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Andrewjvt said:
I thought some of you might find this video interesting regards the Hegel amp design. https://youtu.be/ER_lqNFckxY

Blue link
he is saying that the hagal amplifier is still gets distortion even with the sound engine at the end of the video so it’s basically a amplifier with very low distortion .

And what about your speaker cables acting like antennas that’s bad I thought good quality speaker cable was shield .

insider9

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting indeed. However I'd question distortion figures in new amps and how much they really matter. Ultimately even if the amp gives you the least distortion there's so much distortion you can hear from speakers and room interaction that ultimately it matters very little what amp is doing in terms of distortion. I've measured many Class A and AB amps now whether it's £4k or £200 amp audible distortion was determined by that of speakers and room. The only exception was Class D in the same scenario that showed lower distortion figures when measured in the same way. Although it sounded wrong to my ears.

MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

Thanks. I’ll have a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I have suddenly become very interested in their Basx-PT100 / BasX A-300 pre-power combo.... all that for £928.... 'brill

And that's with 2x150 wpc, a decent 24/192kHz DAC, a MM/MC phono stage, subwoofer output, direct-coupled headphone amp and an FM tuner section..... ;-)

Now I would like so see Hegel try it.

The only thing I can think of that comes close is the Parasound Halo Integrated at more than three times the price.

Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I have suddenly become very interested in their Basx-PT100 / BasX A-300 pre-power combo.... all that for £928.... 'brill

And that's with 2x150 wpc, a decent 24/192kHz DAC, a MM/MC phono stage, subwoofer output, direct-coupled headphone amp and an FM tuner section..... ;-)

The only thing I can think of that comes close is the Parasound Halo Integrated at more than three times the price.
That is a fabulous spec for the money! Karma AV seem to bring in several rather good, and underrated brands, like Goldenear speakers. And less underrated like Mark Levinson.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Andrewjvt said:
I thought some of you might find this video interesting regards the Hegel amp design. https://youtu.be/ER_lqNFckxY

Blue link
he is saying that the hagal amplifier is still gets distortion even with the sound engine at the end of the video so it’s basically a amplifier with very low distortion .

And what about your speaker cables acting like antennas that’s bad I thought good quality speaker cable was shield  .

Very low distortion in the audible hf range

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting indeed. However I'd question distortion figures in new amps and how much they really matter. Ultimately even if the amp gives you the least distortion there's so much distortion you can hear from speakers and room interaction that ultimately it matters very little what amp is doing in terms of distortion. I've measured many Class A and AB amps now whether it's £4k or £200 amp audible distortion was determined by that of speakers and room. The only exception was Class D in the same scenario that showed lower distortion figures when measured in the same way. Although it sounded wrong to my ears.

Normally I'd agree with you but when you listen to a Hegel you will hear whats different. Then other amps seem very noisy/grainy etc.

Kinda like going from controlled active back to flabby bass passive

And I've tested hi end naim, Cyrus, sudden and a few more.

Something is definitely different
Ok, all I'm saying is it may not be distortion related. It can be lack of negative feedback. Of course both these issues are addressed with Hegel design but there's something audibly different about no negative feedback designs.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

Normally I'd agree with you but when you listen to a Hegel you will hear whats different. Then other amps seem very noisy/grainy etc.

Ok, all I'm saying is it may not be distortion related. It can be lack of negative feedback. Of course both these issues are addressed with Hegel design but there's something audibly different about no negative feedback designs.

Check eBay
A.set of ATC scm50asl cabinets with tweeters available

Wonder if it would be cost effective to fit the bass/midrange and 2 X amp packs
Probably not

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

Thanks. I’ll have a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

And that's with 2x150 wpc, a decent 24/192kHz DAC, a MM/MC phono stage, subwoofer output, direct-coupled headphone amp and an FM tuner section..... ;-)

Brilliant value for money
Ja can't disagree

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

Check eBay
A.set of ATC scm50asl cabinets with tweeters available

Wonder if it would be cost effective to fit the bass/midrange and 2 X amp packs
Probably not
I'd say it's very worthwhile as long as they go for reasonable price. Drive units are not cheap but you'd be able to do amplification and digital crossover yourself.

For what they're worth you could do all including Linn Majik Exaktbox-i and have some money leftover. Would I have £10k for a project like this I'd definitely give it a go. I reckon they'd sound better than ATC made ones.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The ATC's look exciting. And a good place to indulge in for Diy . Just to give a price perspective of what it may cost. Below is the Indian pricing for new PMC drivers for twenty 26. ( hand matched pairs of tweeters and mid range domes. Total 4 drivers ) - 1400 pounds.

May be the prices in UK are more reasonable. Considering that you are getting an excellent cabinet , will be a good place to start with for a active setup, that can gradually be built up as per available time.

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That is a fabulous spec for the money! Karma AV seem to bring in several rather good, and underrated brands, like Goldenear speakers. And less underrated like Mark Levinson.

They do indeed seem to be bringing in a fair bit of American hifi, good for them because that's the only place in the UK that does Emotiva equipment.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

They do indeed seem to be bringing in a fair bit of American hifi, good for them because that's the only place in the UK that does Emotiva equipment.

As a brand, have always produced interesting components. They are aimed at the more affordable end of the price spectrum, and that seems to be the issue. The advantage of their affordability on the US market is somewhat lost by the time they arrive in the uk, shipping, vat and the rest bring the prices into line with a lot of mainstream and some uk branded product in an area that the british market is particularly strong and competitive.

That said, they offer a range of components that no uk manufacturer can match at the price, as Al points out, the BasX series can offer a genuine 150 wpc power amp for around £500, very competitive.

Be interesting to see what happens if the product becomes more available in the uk market.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Noticed the other day that Emotiva's range is also available through Audiovisual Online. I've purchased speakers from them in the past.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the review of the Emotiva duo is in the latest HifiChoice edition.

Great vfm if the review is to be believed. Don't like the 90's blue display.

This shows what can be done by making stuff in China and aggressive pricing.

Leeps said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Noticed the other day that Emotiva's range is also available through Audiovisual Online. I've purchased speakers from them in the past.

Many thanks for that, I'll take a look.

Al ears said:
Leeps said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

And Audiologica in Sussex, where I got my Primare. Ask for Richard!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the review of the Emotiva duo is in the latest HifiChoice edition.

As opposed to making stuff in China and still charging big bucks for it!

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
Leeps said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
Emotiva BasX range

Hi Al ears

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

And Audiologica in Sussex, where I got my Primare. Ask for Richard!

Cheers, nopiano.

Leeps said:
drummerman said:

As opposed to making stuff in China and still charging big bucks for it!

;-) Yes, there is a fair bit of that going on...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Andrewjvt said:

Blue link

Electrocompanmiet have used a similar system for many years.

They have zero global feedback but have small amounts around individual amplifier gain blocks then the signal is moved forward to the next individual gain block that has it's own measurement and feedbaclk loop also they have separate transconductance and transresistance amplifier blocks .

The power supply is an FFT design which means not connecting the connection point of two windings of the power supply transformer directly to ground. Instead Electrocompaniet use one bridge and capacitor for each winding of the transformer and ground the bridge.

This keeps the earth and signal ground separate and results in quieter and improved performance.

The proof is in the hearing . *smile*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

I feel I get a similar effect with valve amps. A grain-free, almost liquid quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts