Heating on, hi-fi up...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, i've hung out as long as I could with the extra-jumpers etc, but I've had to cave in and put the heating on today. And it's not just my frozen nose/toes that have benefited - my hi-fi system is LOVING it. It's sounding especially good this afternoon.

Anyone else noticed the same thing, or has an afternoon of subbing the next issue sent me slightly loopy?
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Ahuh Clare...even the computer seems to work better with the ice removed :)

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
You should not be surprised. The speed of sound in a gas depends on temperature so as your room heats up you should expect to notice for one thing improved dynamics. The effect will be particularly noticeable if you have rapidly warmed the gas in your room, as it sounds like you haveÿ.

Or you could be imagining it ÿ.

Messiah

Well I have spent the afternoon watching Tomb Raider and Lord of the Rings (on my PS3 by the way and it compares very well to my Pioneer LX50!) wrapped in a duvet so tomorrow maybe I'll watch them again with the heating on and see!

Hopefully I won't notice a difference or the fuel bill is going up!! (It already went up 50% this month
emotion-8.gif
)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
OK, i've hung out as long as I could with the extra-jumpers etc, but I've had to cave in and put the heating on today. And it's not just my frozen nose/toes that have benefited - my hi-fi system is LOVING it. It's sounding especially good this afternoon.

Anyone else noticed the same thing, or has an afternoon of subbing the next issue sent me slightly loopy?
emotion-42.gif

The average body kicks out 0.5 kW so four people, three computers, a bunch of (energy saving) lightbulbs, TV, hifi, the oven on in the kitchen (for an hour or two every evening) and the heat that builds up in the consvervatory - if there has been any afternoon sun - has been more than enough to keep things pretty warm so far. Our recent house renovation has improved heat retention even more. Admittedly our loft insulation could be uprated. I seem to recall it was 8 inches when we had it done last. I think 11 inches/270mm is the standard nowadays.

Also we are on the south coast (5 mins walk from the seafront) and in a city. We always tend to be a couple of degrees above the norm because of sea currents and local topography, and another degree or two being in a built up city. We live in a terrace so our neighbour's houses form good insulation at both sides. Living in amongst so many terraced roads also shelters us from the worst of the wind on all sides.

I cannot see us having to switch on the heating unless we get to about 4C outside during the day.

The amp warms it's own components whatever the ambient temperature because they are in a closed box. The biggest effect will be probably be on speaker cones/surrounds and stylus suspension if you use a turntable.

T

the record spot

3" of snow in Aberdeen today I hear. Just cold but wonderfully clear here in Edinburgh. Hifi on and deliberating getting new Elac speakers with my wife. Bit of a one way conversation and not from me admittedly.....sadly!

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
errmm..... my heating has been on for about 6 weeks now....

Either me and my family are wimps or you're very brave...

Or perhaps you have some kind of alternative heating - a few Class A amps maybe..?

Clare Newsome:

emotion-42.gif

Obviously, the recession must be really biting.

A

Anonymous

Yup, we've also put the heating on for the first time today. And the stereo? It's sounding better than ever, although I suspect that this is more to do with the upgrade that I took delivery of today :)

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:Yup, we've also put the heating on for the first time today. And the stereo? It's sounding better than ever, although I suspect that this is more to do with the upgrade that I took delivery of today :)

Cull the suspense!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

emotion-42.gif

I'm going with slightly loopy, maybe a gas leak somewhere in the heating system?
emotion-5.gif

Or, more likely, you're just in a better mood as you're no longer cold and wearing 12 layers of clothing
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:tractorboy:Yup, we've also put the heating on for the first time today. And the stereo? It's sounding better than ever, although I suspect that this is more to do with the upgrade that I took delivery of today :)

Cull the suspense!

Ah, well since you ask, I can feel a new thread coming on...

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:Hughes123:tractorboy:Yup, we've also put the heating on for the first time today. And the stereo? It's sounding better than ever, although I suspect that this is more to do with the upgrade that I took delivery of today :)

Cull the suspense!

Ah, well since you ask, I can feel a new thread coming on...

Please!

Back on topic, Russ Andrews has announced his new product: The Russ Andrews ThermoMAX 5000 - proven to reduce hi-fi fatigue, improve bass response and create a "warmer" sound...
3051265696_dd3f36bcd7_o.jpg
Disclaimer: It's only a bit of funny satire!

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Heating? Harden up, lady! It's 8 degrees in here but my hi-fi sounds just fine. Thing is, I've forgotten what it sounds like when it's warm. I'll just whack the volume up to get my amp nice and warm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts