Heard but rarely seen. Question about distribution?

The Arcams, Cyruses and Roksans of this world are smiling. After many years of success they are pretty much available in most places and testing is less of a problem.

When the smaller companies componenets are tested by hi-fi mags (some come highly recommended), the names I'm thinking about are Astin Trew, Exposure. . .I could mention others. The point is these companies lack the accessibilty of the big Co's, and as modern technology is changing the face of conventional hi-fi (MP3/4's, Ipods etc.), what chance do the smaller businesses have of retaining (and growing) their profile? Especially when they rival the larger companies products (possibly).

I have the Arcam CD73T but it wasn't my first choice. I was really hankering after Exposure 2010s, and even contacted Exposure direct. They stated that they could sell me the machine direct (at full price). I then pointed out that a retailer in N. London was selling the same thing, brand new, for a £100 less.

Although the CD73T is great for the price, this just highlights the problems the little companies have. So not a whinge, just an observation - and a shed-load of frustration.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
How long have you had the CD73T and did it need much "burning in"?

I agree with you about the less well known and smaller manufacturers who also make some great kit. As you rightly point out though, it's difficult for them to compete on price..Especially when I managed to pick my brand new CD73T up for £200! Doubt if the same could be said for an Exposure 2010 even second hand off ebay..if you could find one that is.

I purchased mine nearly 3 years ago (in November) and it cost £400. I also believe the reason Arcam are selling so keenly is because the DIVA range has been replaced and, equally as crucial, the retailers, especially the bigger names, carry excess stocks.

When I spoke to one of Exposure's reps I asked the same question about why aren't their products sold by the Audio-t's, Sevenoaks etc, he explained: "We don't have the ability to service all their branches, like the bigger manufactuers." Whether he was just putting up barriers or not, I can't really say. Whatever the reason, I think the bigger retailers could do more to promote the smaller companies and make these brands more accessible.

A

Anonymous

I'm smiling
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:

I was really hankering after Exposure 2010s, and even contacted Exposure direct. They stated that they could sell me the machine direct (at full price). I then pointed out that a retailer in N. London was selling the same thing, brand new, for a £100 less.

if you ask Andrew nicely for my Email address I could help with the purchase. (not my for sale btw!)

Thaiman:plastic penguin:

I was really hankering after Exposure 2010s, and even contacted Exposure direct. They stated that they could sell me the machine direct (at full price). I then pointed out that a retailer in N. London was selling the same thing, brand new, for a £100 less.

if you ask Andrew nicely for my Email address I could help with the purchase. (not my for sale btw!)

Thanks TM. Certainly in the short-term my priorty is an amp upgrade and I'll just play it from there. Once I get settled in to my new job I'll ponder the concept before Xmas. No immediate rush, hey, but thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts