Heads up, Big Chris

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
You might already have it, but if not:

OPETH

I've just chucked in an order for the Limited Edition (2000 units) Super Deluxe version:

HERE.

It was just under £80 with postage, so it ain't cheap, but i've wanted some Opeth on vinyl since I got my TT. Had to have it!

Did you go to the gig, Chris?

EDIT: I just found this, too:

PORCUPINE TREE RE-ISSUE

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Brett, but as you've guessed, I've already got it. I can even see myself in the crowd in certain parts!

Will look into the P.T disc though (who I saw at the Royal Albert Hall last Thursday)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I figured you'd have been in like Flynn on that one! I'll keep an eye out for you on the DVDs. I just hope that the Vinyls are good quality. They sound promising from the blurb on the site.

I had a quick listen to the P.T 'Recordings', last night. It's lighter than 'Deadwing' (which is still my favourite of theirs. I love it) with some really great, pretty intros and melodies. I'm glad they re-issued this, 'cos the original goes for bloody stupid money!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
BTW, How was P.T?

I've always wanted to go to the Royal Albert Hall, but i've missed out on tickets the two times i've tried to go, which was for Sting and Bjork.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
They were really good. We were quite close to the stage, so had a great view of the show (closer than we were for Opeth). Sound was very good, only Gavin Harrison's kick drum was less than stellar. The snare and toms really pounded, but the kick lacked the punch of the rest of the kit. The rest of the band sounded great.

They played a lot of older stuff to start with, but played some later tunes later on.

They played 'Lazarus', 'Open Car' and 'Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here' from Deadwing, Unfortunately, my faves from Deadwing are 'Halo', Glass Arm Shattering' & 'Mellotron Scratch'. Typical. Can't complain with their 'Sleep Together' though, probably my fave from F.O.A.B.P.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oddly enough, I too thought of Big Chris just now, when I spotted some Opeth vinyl on sale here at the Manchester Show
emotion-2.gif

(I've done my usual show trick of justifying buying a bag of vinyl as a reward for working all weekend)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I had to investigate Opeth using a Mellotron!

(Instrument tapes originally recorded/programmed by BBC Conductor Eric Robinson and the company funded by magician David Nixon who both feature in that Youtube link.)

The only old record I once owned - that I knew for sure had a Mellotron being played - was Caravan's 'Land of Grey and Pink'.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Have you spotted me yet Brett?
emotion-2.gif

Stick DVD 2 in. Skip to the last track and let it roll on to 1hr 42m 0s.

After a couple of seconds, you'll see me stand up and start applauding. I'm in a red polo shirt & blue jeans, about halfway up the screen, and about halfway between the left and the centre of the screen.

There are other shots of me and The Wife, but this is the easiest to find.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:
Have you spotted me yet Brett?
emotion-2.gif

Stick DVD 2 in. Skip to the last track and let it roll on to 1hr 42m 0s.

After a couple of seconds, you'll see me stand up and start applauding. I'm in a red polo shirt & blue jeans, about halfway up the screen, and about halfway between the left and the centre of the screen.

There are other shots of me and The Wife, but this is the easiest to find.

I haven't watched the DVDs yet, but had the vinyl on constantly. Sounds great.

I'll check the DVDs out tonight.

BTW, Christophe, I bought PT 'The Incident' DVD-A. The DTS 5.1 mix sounds blinding.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Bllody hell, Chris! I thought you said you were easy to find!

After ten minutes of squinting, rewinding and replaying, I got ya!

Here you are, in all your Opeth Gig Glory!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Haha! Yep, that's me.
emotion-2.gif

I thought I was relatively easy to spot. a. being one of the few not wearing black or grey, and b. being the biggest person in the crowd.

Have you watched the gig yet? What do you think?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've watched the second disc. Man, they're tight! Really good. They are now added to my 'must see live' list, along with Bjork, PT, Tool, Pearl Jam and Meshuggah.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts