Headphones needed - that wont annoy my colleagues!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

I am looking for some headphones to use with my iPod in work. I currently have Goldring in the ear (which I got at one of the shows with a subscription to WHF - thanks WHF!). The sound is great but I am looking to get some normal headphones rather than in the ear. I tried the Grado's back in the Bristol show, and yes, they are very good, but the sound leaks out of them which would annoy the people sitting round me! I have some Sennheisers which Ive had for years (cant remember the model number) which are OK, but the Goldring in the ear are much better in terms of quality.

So basically I am looking for some headphones that can match the quality of my Goldring in ear set which dont leak sound. Any ideas anyone?

James.

John Duncan

Over-ears that don't leak and are good quality. Hm.......

Difficult - depends how much you want to spend and how weird you're prepared to look, amongst other things. All of the closed back ones I know (for they will have to be closed back to avoid leakage) aren't actually that good for spillage - the Sennheiser PX200s came closest for me at a reasonable price, probably, but the other 'phones I know are either leaky (Senn HS25s) or open backed (650s) or make you look like a 70s DJ (upmarket Audio Technicas).

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply John. I should probably have given more details originally. I guess I would spend up to about £80, which is probably a big factor in selection. As for looking wierd, I am surrounded by a load of technical consultants in work and we are all fairly strange anyway
emotion-2.gif
so I am not worried about how they look too much!

Interesting you mention that Senn HS25 are leaky as my Senn's are closed back and they leak like anything too. I really need to go to a shop and give a few a test, but sadly my local supplier (SS&V - Cardiff) have closed down.

John Duncan

I think the issue with the 25s was size - they don't go all the way around my ears. the 650s are perfect size, but are open backed. And 80 quid is not a price point I know, really other than open-backed grados - maybe someone else has experience of closed-back sennheisers or Beyers at this price...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts