Budget but good wired headphones UK

brendanxx

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a cheap(ish) pair of headphones, wired and small but which will cover my ears and produce reasonable sound - mainly for using on my phone outside but good enough to listen to classical music. I guess something below £50. Any suggestions most appreciated.

Gray

There's quite a bit of difference in sound between makes and models - the sound and comfort is something only you can decide on.

WHF have the AKGK72 as a best buy at £41, yet in the 'reasons to avoid' column they describe their midrange as boxy and coloured - something I found with the K92 model (enough for me to have to return them).

They also recommend a Rode closed back model, currently £70 which might be worth paying extra for.

Best advice is to buy from somewhere with an easy returns policy....to avoid you being lumbered with something unsuitable.

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
I'm a big fan of my Audio Technica ATH-M30X headphones. I find them neutral but engaging and very comfortable. The cable is about 40,000 miles long though.

Reactions: Gray

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Have you purchased a pair yet? If not and you can afford £90, then the Sony MDR7506 headphones are about the best headphones that you can buy at any price. Used in production suites and recording studios throughout the world they are very hard to beat. They are also bullet proof and handle massive volume levels without ever changing their sound signature (which is slightly colored, but in a good way) or displaying any hint of distortion. It doesn't matter what you plug them in to they always sound good and the better the gear the better the sound gets.

Reactions: matthewpianist

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Strong affirmation of Sony 7506. I'm on my third decade with, second issue of, this classic! It's always connected to one source or another here.

By the by, in the US, a "Looks and functions as if it were new. Item will come in original packaging" used option from the Amazon Warehouse is going for $80 today, though new options are usually <$100 here too.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Two qualifications on the recommendations:

On the Q30, they actually can be wired, but I would only recommend them for good wireless sound, with the attraction that they are sold with an audio cable and can be wired should your battery run down. I haven't tested whether they can be charged while you're listening wired, though there are probably many reviews that cover that.

On the 7506, they are mostly "bullet proof". Most experienced owners can tell you that the original ear pads will have to be replaced, relatively frequently, depending on usage habits. Fortunately, they are replaceable -for a few to several dollars, though you'll want to factor that into your cost assessment. You'll also want to learn to shop for good replacements, and be patient because they do not just snap in, and Sony do not to sell replacements. Fortunately again, because of the popularity/sales of the 7506, there have always been many replacement-pad options. I usually keep a spare pair because I'm confident that I'll continue to depend on the 7506.

matthewpianist

I had a very enjoyable session with the 7506s over the weekend, using the (surprisingly capable) headphone amp in the CEOL. They're very good value for money and no apologies need to be made for them. They are also comfortable, and block out external noise better than either of my other options (the Grados are open-back, so that's not really a fair comparison).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts