Headphones: Isolating vs Cancelling

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to replace (and sell!) my mint/used 3 times Bose headphones in favour of some noise cancelling or isolating ones as I fly quite a bit for work.

Is there a massive difference between the two? I've seen ads claiming 80-90% isolation - what should I look out for?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The best noise-isolating, in-ear headphones cut out all external sound - they literally seal your ears from outside noise, so you only hear your music.

Other advantages are that they're typically small and light, and require no additional power source - in fact they'll save your player's batteries, as you'll tend to listen at lower volumes, as you're not having to turn up your music to drown out external noise.

The cons are that not everyone likes the tight fit involved - this can range from discomfort to claustrophobia! Make ssure you try before you buy, and opt for a model that comes with a selection of earbud options, so you can find the very best fit for your ears (you can get custom-moulded buds from some manufacturers, too). The other con is that the sealing effect means you can hear yourself eat etc - that can make airline meals a tad freaky!

Noise-cancelling headphones, meanwhlle, generate soundwaves to counteract external noise: they include microphones that pick up that outside noise, and use battery power to generate the soundwaves to cancel it out. There are models in a range of sizes and shapes, with Sennheiser's PXC range the best performers in our opinion. They are especially effective at counteracting airplane engine noise, and there's none of the eating noise/closed-in issue as with in-ears.

Cons? They don't block out all external noise (though the best - like Sennheiser's PXC450 - get very close). They require batteries of their own (though again, you'll save player-power); and some people can hear the noise-cancelling soundwaves (describing it like a rushing noise).

Again, try before you buy!

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I had the same predicament a few years back as I fly a lot for work too. The Bose noise cancelling headphones although works quite well, is a quite big and troublesome as its like a another cabin luggage. Not to mention that there wil be an additional plug point charger/USB charger that you have to think about when travelling. I already have 2 charges for mobile phone, 1 for iPod, 1 for laptop.

So, in the end, I opted for SHURE isolating earphones. As Clare mentioned here, you need to try out the different sizes of buds and find one that fits you comfortably. For long hours flight, it can give some sort of discomfort es pecially if you have them on all the time on the flight. I remember one time, I was flying from Abu Dhabi to La Fayette, USA. The whole journey took 32 hours. By the time I arrive, I feel like my inner ears are swollen.

However, it really works. You can hear your music as if there are no external noises. Be carefull as well because you do not want to miss out on important announcements from the pilot, especially if the plane were to crash :). The SHURE earphones comes with a small storage pouch with different type of buds and sizes.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

The best noise-isolating, in-ear headphones cut out all external sound - they literally seal your ears from outside noise, so you only hear your music.

Other advantages are that they're typically small and light, and require no additional power source - in fact they'll save your player's batteries, as you'll tend to listen at lower volumes, as you're not having to turn up your music to drown out external noise.

The cons are that not everyone likes the tight fit involved - this can range from discomfort to claustrophobia! Make ssure you try before you buy, and opt for a model that comes with a selection of earbud options, so you can find the very best fit for your ears (you can get custom-moulded buds from some manufacturers, too). The other con is that the sealing effect means you can hear yourself eat etc - that can make airline meals a tad freaky!

Noise-cancelling headphones, meanwhlle, generate soundwaves to counteract external noise: they include microphones that pick up that outside noise, and use battery power to generate the soundwaves to cancel it out. There are models in a range of sizes and shapes, with Sennheiser's PXC range the best performers in our opinion. They are especially effective at counteracting airplane engine noise, and there's none of the eating noise/closed-in issue as with in-ears.

Cons? They don't block out all external noise (though the best - like Sennheiser's PXC450 - get very close). They require batteries of their own (though again, you'll save player-power); and some people can hear the noise-cancelling soundwaves (describing it like a rushing noise).

Again, try before you buy!

Clare, marry me?!

A

Anonymous

El Hefe:

I had the same predicament a few years back as I fly a lot for work too. The Bose noise cancelling headphones although works quite well, is a quite big and troublesome as its like a another cabin luggage. Not to mention that there wil be an additional plug point charger/USB charger that you have to think about when travelling. I already have 2 charges for mobile phone, 1 for iPod, 1 for laptop.

So, in the end, I opted for SHURE isolating earphones. As Clare mentioned here, you need to try out the different sizes of buds and find one that fits you comfortably. For long hours flight, it can give some sort of discomfort es pecially if you have them on all the time on the flight. I remember one time, I was flying from Abu Dhabi to La Fayette, USA. The whole journey took 32 hours. By the time I arrive, I feel like my inner ears are swollen.

However, it really works. You can hear your music as if there are no external noises. Be carefull as well because you do not want to miss out on important announcements from the pilot, especially if the plane were to crash :). The SHURE earphones comes with a small storage pouch with different type of buds and sizes.

Thanks for this - the Shure's are currently at the top of my list...

A

Anonymous

I use the noise isolating Etymotic Research ER6i and they are excellent. I've had them for over 2 years.

It took a few days to get used to the in-ear design ... it feels a bit weird sticking the headphones deep into your ear at first, but the soft eartips are gentle on your ears (especially the 3-flange ones). I've taken them on long-haul flights, sometimes just using these as air plugs. Its an amazing feeling when you take them out and notice how incredibly loud everything around you seems.

As Clare said, you tend to listen to music at much lower volumes than with traditional headphones, which means your ears take much less of a bashing. I recently left my headphones at a friends and had to use the Apple supplied ones and my ears physically hurt after a few minutes. With the Etymotic headphones I forget that they are even there.

A

Anonymous

Grimaldi:I use the noise isolating Etymotic Research ER6i and they are excellent. I've had them for over 2 years. It took a few days to get used to the in-ear design ... it feels a bit weird sticking the headphones deep into your ear at first, but the soft eartips are gentle on your ears (especially the 3-flange ones). I've taken them on long-haul flights, sometimes just using these as air plugs. Its an amazing feeling when you take them out and notice how incredibly loud everything around you seems. As Clare said, you tend to listen to music at much lower volumes than with traditional headphones, which means your ears take much less of a bashing. I recently left my headphones at a friends and had to use the Apple supplied ones and my ears physically hurt after a few minutes. With the Etymotic headphones I forget that they are even there.

Thanks for this - I haven't heard of this manufacturer before. At least this'll give me a choice now....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts