Headphones and DAC on a budget

markhooper32

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have a small budget of £200 and was hoping to be able to buy headphones and a DAC to use with my onkyo av receiver I have been looking at the akg k451's which you can now get for £50! Then maybe £150 on a DAC. But will I be better off just spending the whole £200 on headphones? Thanks in advance - Mark

Audiofilo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I would just buy the AKGs and try them without a DAC. I think you might be pleasantly surprised and potentially save £150! My only word of caution is that they are meant for portability, so you might be better off with more of a 'home' headphone. What kind of music is it for?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I would say definitely spend the money on better headphones. For £200 you could get something quite nice and there's a lot of choice at that price level. A dac/amp could come later perhaps but there is no way I would be spending 3 x the cost of the headphones on one; the other way around would be more reasonable.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, take your maximum budget and get a headphone with it. But to commit the maximum budget that way, you really have to know what you want in all respects so that you pick a winner that matches your requirements. If you can't be sure then you may have to get the experience one headphone at a time.

markhooper32

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I listen to a lot of music at night in flac via a USB stick,but depending on my mood I'll be listening to anything from the prodigy to Jamie cullum so maybe I'll try find some good all round headphones. Thank you

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Here are a couple of my favorites, especially the Custom One Pro. I've reviewed both here, but what I really like about the COP besides the great comfort and quality is the sound - one of the few headphones I've had that needs no EQ or other adjustments to sound great on a good system.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-hp100-closed-back-headphones-hp100-prodid-4393.html

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-closed-back-studio-headphones-prodid-4470.html

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Look to much better headphones with that budget.

Denon AH-D600

Audio Technica ATH900X

Shure SRH840

MrSpeakers Mad Dog - selling mine for £190 ;)

AKG K267 if you find it used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts