Headphone Amps

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Fiio X5ii DAP which i use with Klipsch X10i in-ear phones in work, and Vmoda XS on-ear at home.

I've never used a headphone amp before so wondering what i would achieve soundwise if i used one with the gear i have.

Considering something like the Fiio E12a as an option.

Most of my music is ripped from cd with Apple Lossless (as i used to have an ipod before Fiio) with some ripped to FLAC and a few Hi-Res also.

Grateful for any opinions.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
I've got a Fiio X5ii DAP which i use with Klipsch X10i in-ear phones in work, and Vmoda XS on-ear at home.

I've never used a headphone amp before so wondering what i would achieve soundwise if i used one with the gear i have.

Considering something like the Fiio E12a as an option.

Most of my music is ripped from cd with Apple Lossless (as i used to have an ipod before Fiio) with some ripped to FLAC and a few Hi-Res also.

Grateful for any opinions.

The E12a is just a low-level amp of moderate quality, and it's doubtful it would improve the sound of X5ii, which is a much newer product. The more expensive small amps, like the Portaphile Micro or the Lehmann Traveller, should be better. But I would stick with the X5ii for those headphones, and upgrade later - maybe with a better DAP.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I would not get an amp to go with the x5.

Personally I would opt for a Cowon Plenue 1 or an Astell and Kern DAP and sell the Fiio.

I got a Hidizs AP100 dap and it has an amplifier built in and it is to my ears better sounding than the X5.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts