Headphone amp?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I need to buy some headphones. Listened to the Grado 60's in Sevenoaks HIFI today and, surprisingly, wasn't over impressed. I was expecting something amazing, but they just sounded ordinary. I intend to use the headphones, when I chose the right pair, with a Micromeger Stage 4 CD player, that has a headphone socket (ie without a seperate amp). My question is whether it is worth spending the extra 85 quid on the project headphone amp, as well. I only intend to spend up to about £100 on the headphones.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
why not do it in two stages if you have a budget of £185 why not look at a pair of Sennheiser HD650 - £179.99 at play - great headphones really open and transparent - if you then feel you need an external headphone amp buy one at a later date. i listened to a few headphones at around £100 and none really got me excited - wasn't untill i stepped up a level that i suddenly started thinking wow and buying in to what headphones really could do.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
cse:Thanks Tony R. Did you listen to any other headphones? Where did you hear about the Micromeger internal headphone amp?

I had a pair of Grado SR80's which I too found unimpressive after some extended listening.

I'm currently using Beyer DT770's (closed back headphone) for serious listening - and Sennheiser HD497 (open back headphone) for casual listening (usually connected to my computer at work, via a headphone amp).

I don't remember where I read about the Micromega headphone amp being good - I will try and Google it.

Tony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts