Headphone amp newbie question

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've never owned a headphone amp, not sure how they work in respect of cancelling the hifi speakers in the system.

I have a pair of Grado SR80s which I'm thinking of upgrading. My amp is an Arcam FMJ A19, I've been using its headphone socket. If I go down the headphone amp route, do I connect it to a spare line output on the amp? How are the speakers in my system cancelled when I switch to using headphones?

Sorry if this sounds naive, have tried Googling my question but not got anywhere.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
6and8 said:
I've never owned a headphone amp, not sure how they work in respect of cancelling the hifi speakers in the system.

I have a pair of Grado SR80s which I'm thinking of upgrading. My amp is an Arcam FMJ A19, I've been using its headphone socket. If I go down the headphone amp route, do I connect it to a spare line output on the amp? How are the speakers in my system cancelled when I switch to using headphones?

Sorry if this sounds naive, have tried Googling my question but not got anywhere.

Yes, connect to a line out. You will have to turn down the volume of the speakers manually.

The amp you have looks like it's got a reasonably decent headphone amp built in so perhaps a home demo of a discreet headphone amp to see if you can hear any difference?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts