Headphone amp/connector

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Afternoon all...

I would like to listen to my main system (vinyl mainly) through my Sennheiser 280s, but do not have a headphone socket on the Naims...

Now, I've come up with the following potential solutions. But they involve either spending money, or rummaging in the loft - so I want opinions as to whether any of them are better than the other before I either get told off (for spending) or very cold and risk putting a foot through the bedroom ceiling...

1) Connect up a sony minidisc recorder to the REC-OUT and run the headphones via that (whilst it converts from AD/DA, as that's the only way it will output without playing a disc)

2) Connect up an old technics reciever to the REC-OUT, and use the 'phone output on that

3) Spend £40 or so on a CMoy from ebay...

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I have 7 CMoy amps (along with a few other amps). Try the Fiio E3 or E5 amp, for a quick fix. I've got both (like you do) and they are both brilliant. I think the Fiio E3 amp, is an accessory that every headphones wearer should own, because they're only $4.99 (minus shipping). I paid 1 cent for my Fiio E3 amp. but you can get them for less than £10 shipped.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I did check out the Fiio, but as it has no volume control (and it would be going from a line-out connection) it wouldn't work for me.

In the end, I managed to dust off my old soldering iron and made a modified cmoy myself! I had to use a different chip to the normal Burr Brown as they are tricky to get hold of quickly over here, but it certainly does the job!

(Kudos to PJPro for his article, as it gave some rather helpful pointers!).

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Of course, what was I thinking about the Fiio E3. the Fiio E5 is good, but if you've sorted out your CMoy, then there's no real need, unless size is an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts