HDMI vs. Coax. vs. Optical for better sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am wondering what is the best way to connect my Pioneer DV600 DVD/SACD player to a Pioneer VSX-1018 A/V receiver in order to get best results for the sound. I have tried all the connections and through my blind listening tests it seemed that the HDMI connection had better clarity and dimension.

I know that HDMI is superior in the transfer of multichannel PCM audio, and coax and optical can transfer only 2ch. PCM. Also, coax and optical on the other side are prone to electrical interference and light pulses interuptions on longer runs, but in a HT setup the connections are short.

Most of my soundtracks are on CD's and DVD (DD or DTS), and very few DVD-Audio. Most of the time I am using my main speakers for music listening, so in stereo mode, pure direct PCM (I found it better than analog through my Audioqest IC's.)

I have Bandridge profigold coax and noname optical cable, so probably they are lousy and the weakest chain. I have HDMI 1.3b HT 1,5m gold plated cable.

What is your experience and thoughts on this issue?

Should I look and try for some class leading optical cables likeTrue Colours Industries Coral or should I go for some HDMI cable?

A

Anonymous

I think you have just answered yourself! You prefer the sound via HDMI. Don't waste money on very expensive cables, you already have a satisfactory sound.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:For HD sound HDMI is your only digital choice. For standard DD/DTS/stereo, there's nothing in it.

Intriguing reply Andrew. Your mag says that even different HDMIs sound different to one another?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I am also confused. If there is nothing in it for standard DD/DTS/stereo, why are cables described in the reviews as more detailed, more punchy, more transparent?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I was of course talking between the connection formats, not specific cables. That's a whole new set of variables...

So correct me if I'm wrong, but you are saying that there isn't any differences for DD/DTS/stereo sound between HDMI, optical and coaxial interconnections, and the variables depend on the cable specifications and quality?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, all other things being equal. The same digital formats are being sent whichever connection you use: the rest is down to the quality of the digital tramission and reception sections of the relevant equipment, and the quality of the cable used.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
So where do you stand on standard DD and DTS Andrew?

If for example, someone was to spend 20 quid on each (The best they could find of each for that price) which would you say sounded best? (or worst)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Entirely dependent on the rest of the system, but if you were only ever going to listen to standard-definition DD/DTS, and didn't need the extended multimedia/control capabilities of HDMI, I would see no advantage in using HDMI over S/PDIF for a purely audio transmission.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, but I am confused. I have blu-ray player Pioneer LX52 connected to Denon AVR 2310 via HDMI, so to get HD sound. I planned to connect LX52 directly to my TV-Pioneer 500A and the audio to be passed via optical (TCI-Coral) to AVR 2310, so to get top of picture quality and sound. Am I wrong? Should I use HDMI connections only, so to get HD sound or I can use Optical also?!

10x.

M.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts