HDMI V1.4 question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I will have a 3D TV/Sony 3D Blu-ray Player/Onkyo 608 Amp/PS3.

My question is will i have to change all my 1.3 HDMI cables to 1.4 to get the best 3D expierence? or do i just need to change the one which goes from Amp to TV to a 1.4 cable?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

u dont need to change ur cables.

1.4 just adds an ethernet channel (100Mbit) and an audio return channel to cut down on having to have an optical from tv to the amp.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
edsib1:1.4 just adds an ethernet channel (100Mbit) and an audio return channel to cut down on having to have an optical from tv to the amp.

Not strictly true. High Speed certified cables are required for 1080p and the same cable will also pass 3D content and the audio return channel assuming you're using devices with 1.4 ports and which support both of those things - so if you're getting 1080p on your current setup, there shouldn't be any reason to change cables just for 3D content.

For Ethernet, you'd need to upgrade your cable to a High Speed with Ethernet cable as this is a new feature and will not be built into existing cables. However, I'm not aware of any devices which take advantage of this as yet, and certainly none of the ones the OP has.

See info on cables at HDMI.org.

A

Anonymous

...and I can confirm that this is true.

I have tried 3d on both 1.4 and 1.3 spec'd cables of which both are "high speed" certified. 3D works just fine and so does ARC (Audio return from the TV).

Craig

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
great news so in my ps3 i have a 3d player and my 1.3 hdmi's are 3d ready to and my sky hd box has a 3d channel so all i really need is a new tv
emotion-7.gif
still not as bad as first thought. i guss by the time i get a new pannel it will have 3d onit

so as we now no 1.3 hdmi works with 3d does that mean my old onk(705) will pass the 3d picture on to the tv

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
nodnarb4444:so as we now no 1.3 hdmi works with 3d does that mean my old onk(705) will pass the 3d picture on to the tv

Nope, 1.3 spec HDMI does not work with 3D. You need 1.4 spec HDMI for 3D. This has been confirmed with people who have attempted to pass 3D from the PS3 to their TV through non 1.4 spec AV receivers - see point 2 of the WHF blog.

The confusion is brought about by discussion of 1.3 and 1.4 cables - there is no such thing. A cable is either High Speed certified in which case it is guaranteed to transport 1080p, 3D and ARC, or it's Standard Speed certified, in which case it is guaranteed to pass 720p / 1080i material. It's further confused as many manufacturers over engineer their cables to ensure these guarantees are met, so although a cable is only Standard Speed certified, it may well in fact pass 1080p and 3D over short distances as a result of this over engineering.

The terms 1.3 and 1.4 refer only to the HDMI ports themselves and the capabilities of the device which has them.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
thanx prof so 1.3 really is no good for 3d well im not a 3d hater but im also in no rush to get it as i consider it an extra like app type tvs changing the tv is one thing but i really dont want to change my amp any time soon.

As just about always, the good professor's comments are spot on. However, if I may expand them a little further; it's important to understand that just because you purchased your HDMI cables before the 'v1.4' specs were announced doesn't mean your 'old' v1.3 (or indeed 'v1.1' ) cable doesn't now meet the current 'v1.4' spec.

As the professor says, it's all about data transfer speeds, not badges on the packing. The general rule of thumb is: if your current cable is happy with 1080P signals then it is very likely to be equally happy with 3D signals.

Of course, should you wish to run out and buy new cables, please invest in QED ones.
emotion-2.gif

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert, PR Manager - Armour Home (QED)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

How does the PS3 work then?

Is it more about the software dealing with the HDMI port (upgradeable in the PS3?) than the physical port itself?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts