HDMI sound

jag_grandad

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Samsung PS50C6900 3D Plasma TV + a Samsung BD-C5900 3D DVD Player. I also have Sky HD. The rest of the system comprises a Denon AVR1906 and Kef KHT 1005 7.1 speaker system. Both the Sky HD box and the DVD player are connected to the TV using HDMI cables and the sound goes to the Denon using optical and coaxial cables. I have been dithering for some time now regarding updating my AVR. In doing so I would then be able to take advantage of the HD sound formats by connecting HDMI cabling to the AVR. However I keep being put off by some of the reviews and was certainly put off by the comments of some installers I have spoken to. It would appear that the picture has come on in leaps and bounds, (no arguement there) but the sound still seems to be the poor relation. Spending £300-£500 is a big deal for me so I need to be sure that I am going to achieve a significant improvement. Just doing it because the technology is there is not an option. Anyone care to enlighten me?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jag_grandad:

I have recently purchased a Samsung PS50C6900 3D Plasma TV + a Samsung BD-C5900 3D DVD Player. I also have Sky HD. The rest of the system comprises a Denon AVR1906 and Kef KHT 1005 7.1 speaker system. Both the Sky HD box and the DVD player are connected to the TV using HDMI cables and the sound goes to the Denon using optical and coaxial cables. I have been dithering for some time now regarding updating my AVR. In doing so I would then be able to take advantage of the HD sound formats by connecting HDMI cabling to the AVR. However I keep being put off by some of the reviews and was certainly put off by the comments of some installers I have spoken to. It would appear that the picture has come on in leaps and bounds, (no arguement there) but the sound still seems to be the poor relation. Spending £300-£500 is a big deal for me so I need to be sure that I am going to achieve a significant improvement. Just doing it because the technology is there is not an option. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Poor relation? I don't know what reviews you've been reading or what idiotic installers you've been talking to but most people here seem to hold the opinion that it's the HD sound formats on Blu-ray that actually provide the more significant upgrade compared to DVD (that's a blu-ray player you've bought incidentally, not a DVD player).

This doesn't apply to SkyHD however, you'll still only get the standard Dolby Digital sound, where broadcast.

A

Anonymous

sonycentre:The sound on sky+hd is at 640mps so thats dolby digital plus sound.That's just on the hd channels of course.

You mean 640Kbps of course

A

Anonymous

I agree total with the_Ihc, the advancement in HD audio far exceeds the advancement in HD picture.

nads

markjaspi:I agree total with the_Ihc, the advancement in HD audio far exceeds the advancement in HD picture.

as in the sound from Bluray and other full HD formats. (not sky etc....) i agree.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre:The sound on sky+hd is at 640mps so thats dolby digital plus sound.That's just on the hd channels of course.

No it isn't, it's been on the SD movie channels for years, even with an ordinary Sky+ box.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:sonycentre:The sound on sky+hd is at 640mps so thats dolby digital plus sound.That's just on the hd channels of course.

No it isn't, it's been on the SD movie channels for years, even with an ordinary Sky+ box.

Dolby Digital Plus? on Sky HD? since when?? I thought it was bog standard DD 5.1 which has been available ob Sky+ for years...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123:
the_lhc:sonycentre:The sound on sky+hd is at 640mps so thats dolby digital plus sound.That's just on the hd channels of course.

Dolby Digital Plus? on Sky HD? since when?? I thought it was bog standard DD 5.1 which has been available ob Sky+ for years...

Yeah that's what I meant, ignoring the plus bit.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:grdunn123:

Yeah that's what I meant, ignoring the plus bit.

There is DD Plus though.....but I can't see any mention of it being available on Sky HD

jag_grandad

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your comments, I guess that it is a done deal then. The reviews of the Sony STR-DH810 are good and the price has come down so I will probably go for that.

ps. I did know that it is a Blu-ray player

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it has been said, but you will still need an optical cable (in addition to the HDMI) from the Sky Box to your new amp for DD sound. Sorry if you already knew that, but best to be sure!

TRENDING THREADS