HDMI length

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I've recently moved my living room round and am changing some of my set up. I currently have a 7m HDMI lead (Qunex HDMI P) running from my Onkyo 875 to my TV, do you think I should replace this with a 5m (possibly 4m) cable? Cheers
John

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can use a shorter HDMI cable, do so - even the hardiest of cable skeptics will acknowledge potential for signal degredation over longer lengths. You can always resell your longer-length cable to fund your purchase...

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi clare, i know this thread is about HDMI but can you tell me is it true that front speaker cables have to same length even if speakers are not equal distance from Onkyo 606 F/L spk is 2ft F/R IS 10FT Thanks.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
John - It would be very worthwhile getting the length of your HDMI shorter if possible. Differences between 1m and 2m lengths are usually not very noticeable but you should see a significant jump in performance going from 7m down to 4m.

Bullitt - I am not Clare but thought I might be able to help! The difference in length of your speaker cables is quite significant and the lower resistance of the left speaker cable in comparison to the right speaker cable may cause sonic differences that may be audible. So can you hear a difference in presentation between the two speakers (e.g., your left speaker may sound slightly more controlled, or the overall soundstage is slightly left of centre)? If so, then it may be beneficial to have lengths that are at least more similar in length. However, should you do this make sure that you do not coil up any excess speaker cable as this can cause an inductance loop which may result in audible hum from the speaker that it is connected to. Instead S-curve any excess and this will ensure the best performance.

Hope this helps. Kind regards, Darren

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare and Darren,

Have had to order a 5m cable, 4m's didn't quite reach. Managed to get Qunex HDMI P 5m for £50 which I thought was quite good.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info Darren,If i brought my front right speaker to same distance as the left so both are approx 2ft away from tv etc.Would this be better?.My problem is a door that has offset the room ,also if i did move mt F/R speaker the R/R will not be opposite the F/R !

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Darren my measurements for cable are F/L 2.5MTRS F/R 4.2 MTRS B/L 5.5 MTRS B/R 7.5 , I can reduce F/R as memtioned to match F/L but not rear spks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Bullitt - the point I (initially) and Darren were making was, the speakers themselves don't have to be the same distance away (though this obviously helps!). The point was, no matter how far the front speakers are from the amp, get the same length cable and no matter how far the rear speakers are from the amp, get the same length cable (i.e. go with the furthest distance). As Darren says, this is due to the resistance of the cable affecting the sound.

So in your case, get 2x 4.2m cables for the fronts and 2x 7.5m cables for the rears. Just follow Darren's advice concerning excess cable i.e. on your front speaker which is only 2.5m from the amp, you've got nearly 2m of cable which the needs to go somewhere. Don't coil this up, but tie it in an S-curve to ensure you don't get the hum Darren speaks of. Same goes for the rear speaker which is only 5.5m - again 2m of cable which must be curved in the way Darren describes.

Hope this helps!

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks prof and darren for your help and sorry to repeat question , i just wanted to make sure before i cut my cable, thanks again ,greatly appreciated.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ho hum. Yes a shoirter lerngth is better no doubt. But I seriously wouldn't bother going through the hassle if all you get is a reduction from 7, to 5m (especially if you have a good quality lead in the first place).
Crazinonsensicallity.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, for just 2m I wasn't going to then I decided to move things round upstairs and needed at least 4m of cable, so as I needed a new cable anyway I ordered the 5m for downstairs and will use the 7m upstairs (old kit mainly used by the wife so not too bothered)
Now just need a new TV and i'll have my perfect set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts