HDMI/HDCP compatibility nightmare : which amps/TV/DVD are affected ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought a Yamaha and got stuck with HDMI problems, I think it deserves a post because HDMI brought a better quality but new compatibilty problems as well. And I especially suspect HDCP to be the major problem.
Company care more about protecting their copyrighted content than about the user experience!

Here is my config

-sumvision HDMI DVD/Divx player
-Yamaha RX-V765 amp
-Aspire Revo (HTPC with HDMI output)
-Hitachi 50" plasma screen

DVD + TV = working
HTPC + TV = working
DVD connected to AMP + TV = working
HTPC connected to AMP + TV= not working (sound not detected through HDMI)

Even when I select HDMI pass through on the Yamaha, I can't get the my HTPC to play sound through HDMI.
When I try to get source info on the Yamaha it detects a 1080p video signal but no audio signal.

Apparently there are similar problems with Onkyo amp and Panasonic TVs : http://whathifi.com/News/UPDATED-Onkyo-investigating-HDMI-compatibility-issue-with-2009-Panasonic-TVs/

Maybe The Yamaha guily or maybe it is my Revo HTPC. I will try ot investigate both devices.

If anybody has a similar problem, please post here so people won't buy incompatible amps/TV. and maybe those companies will fix their products!

A

Anonymous

I found a way to mitigate the problem with my Yamaha!

I am using Linux, and apparently Linux gives much more freedom with the choice of the resolutions, and the RX-V765 doesn't seem to like that.

From what I read on other forums, some amplifiers (Onkyo and Yamaha at least) will only let the sound through if the video is in a strict HD format.

Strict HD video format is 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

Using resolutions such as 1680x1050 or 1440x900 won't work.

One of the setting of the nvidia driver takes the best available resolution and does hardware scaling to improve the quality of the image. Haing this option enbled will prevent the HDMI signal from being "Yamaha compatible"

To disable this option, start the Nvidia settings utility, go in the "GPU 0 - ION" menu, select your screen and ensure that "Force Full GPU Scaling" is DISABLED

It should allow you to get sound in spite of those stupid HDCP restrictions.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jgreg: It should allow you to get sound in spite of those stupid HDCP restrictions.

I don't think it's anything to do with HDCP, as you said it's just your amp interpreting what is and isn't HD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts