HDMI Cable 1.3 Compatibility Comment in Feb issue - erroneous?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can I clarify something from the Feb issue - in the article on "10 Reasons to Buy Blu-Ray & HD-DVD" point 9 states: "If you want the best picture and sound performance from your new disc player, you should invest in cables that meet the HDMI 1.3a spec. For more, see our test on p53."

and in point 10:

"And, finally, make sure you connect all your kit up using HDMI 1.3a cables."

The implication is that HDMI cables have to be upgraded to handle HDMI 1.3a audio streams and not just the firmware and chips in the source & display.

Is this correct? I can find no mention of any requirement to change the cable itself either in the cable round-up on page 53 of the issue (i.e. no cables here are lauded for their HDMI 1.3a compatibility) or on the 'net more generally.

The only info that I can find from the HDMI standards body that bears on this is:

"Q. What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable? Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

Standard (or “category 1”) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz, which is the equivalent of a 1080i signal.

High Speed (or “category 2”) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600)."

Yet there is no mention of these differences in the cable reviews or elsewhere.

Therefore, is this "meet the HDMI 1.3a spec" reference in the article incorrect/nonsense as it pertains to HDMI cables?

A

Anonymous

[bump]

Can anyone tell me if HDMI 1.3a requires different HDMI cables to any pre HDMI 1.3 spec?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts