HDMI advice - 10m length required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm contemplating moving all of my AV kit away from the TV to a more girlfriend friendly location (i.e. the other side of the living room, out of her eyeline!).

To do this I will require a lengthy HDMI cable (approx 10m) to run either under the carpet or through the ceiling.

Questions I have are....

1) Which brand (or ideally which cable) should I be using for optimum quality (budget being around £200 max)? I spoke to a guy in Sevenoaks and (whilst standing in front of a wall of Chord cables) he insitsed that QED would be no good at this length and that I needed to invest the extra in Chord? Is there really a significant difference between these brands and is it worth the premium? EDIT: Not that I am restricting myself to just these two brands, just that I have experience of both at shorter lengths.

2) Do I have to consider the shielding abilities of these cables? If I run through the ceiling or around the wall, I will be passing a number of mains outlets and/or lighting fixtures.

Thanks in advance
Ketch

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Ketch, some interesting reading here on this topic. Check out the link to 'Our HDMI Information Centre'

Won't help with brand choices but it's very informative and may address some of your questions at 2).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It is at these sort of lengths when the differences should really be a bit more noticeable. Whether it's worth the extra or not is hard to say - if the Sevenoaks representative is that confident though, see if you can get a home trial on both. If you agree, you know you've tried and the money's been well spent. Otherwise, you can just get the cheaper cable and know you're not missing out.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Ketch:Hi, at shorter lengths.If I run through the ceiling or around the wall, I will be passing a number of mains outlets and/or lighting fixtures. Thanks in advance Ketch

Before thinking about the ceiling, just make sure the upstairs joists are running in your favour, otherwise it is a lot of floorboards,drilling and threading.

A

Anonymous

Interesting link Ian. Sound advice about only running the install once with the best cabling available.

Prof,
You might be right. I think I'll speak to them again and demo a few options. Not sure it Van de Hul do a 10m length, but I might just chuck a few in the mix and test them all.

As always, an excellent reply from the professor. I'm very confident you'll get pretty identical results from both the Chord and QED cables, but as the professor says, there's really only one way to find out.
emotion-1.gif

BTW, may I ask which branch of Sevenoaks were you in?

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (QED)

A

Anonymous

Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome:
As always, an excellent reply from the professor. I'm very confident you'll get pretty identical results from both the Chord and QED cables, but as the professor says, there's really only one way to find out.
emotion-1.gif

BTW, may I ask which branch of Sevenoaks were you in?

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (QED)

Bristol

As always, taking what salesman say with a pinch of salt....... especially as he didn't have a QED 10m cable available!

A

Anonymous

I have 10m of Profigold HDMI going to my projector, and it's not bad at all with some stunning results at times, depends on what your watching though.
I do wonder sometimes if I had paid the extra for the QED or Chord would it be a big difference.
Mine is now tucked inside the skirting boards and would be a bit of work to change it so it's there to stay for the forseable future. If you can try a few options that would be ideal, I wish I had done it.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would speak to Joe/John at tmfsolutions.co.uk and ask about their octava and bettercables or check bluejeanscables.co.uk. They stock various cables that are guaranteed to work. With a long length, it's worth spending a bit more, particularly if you're chasing the cable in walls etc. (Fit once and all that).

A

Anonymous

Got one of these at 10m and it's great, I don't think i'm missing out. Certainly my wallets fatter.

http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-n-premium.php

R

A

Anonymous

hifi_nut:Got one of these at 10m and it's great, I don't think i'm missing out. Certainly my wallets fatter.

R

Now that's really put the cat amongst the pigeons! £21 for a 9.5m length!!!!!

Do you know if they have a returns policy? I'd like to demo this alongside the more expensive brands.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
You get 7 days under Distance Selling Regs anyway.

Taken from their T&C

7. Returned Goods

Goods cannot be returned by the Purchaser unless displaying a Customer Returns Number. Returned Goods not clearly showing this number will not be accepted by our Goods In Department.

The Purchaser wishing to return goods must first contact Knoxed Customer Services Department within 30 days of invoice date to obtain a Customer Return Application Form. The Purchaser will be asked to provide invoice number and date, quantity, full reason for the return and appropriate evidence of defect. Subject to Supplier's approval, a Return authorization will be provided to the Purchaser which will be valid for 30 days. The Purchaser is responsible for the return of the Goods to the Supplier. The Returns Number must be clearly marked with the defect and clearly associated with the evidence of defect. The issue of a return number is not agreement to credit. All Goods returned are subject to testing and please allow up to 14 working days for our response.

Unused products can only be returned on given authorization and we reserve the right to charge a 20% handling charge of the value of the goods.

Why don't you contact them and ask them about returning a cable if you're not happy. I know from other forums that plenty of people are more than happy with their cables and as 99.99999999% of hdmi cables are made in the same factories, I would imagine they'll be up to the job and a match for any brand named cable.

A

Anonymous

Ketch:hifi_nut:Got one of these at 10m and it's great, I don't think i'm missing out. Certainly my wallets fatter.

R

Do you know if they have a returns policy? I'd like to demo this alongside the more expensive brands.

Considering your budget was £200max , for £21 it's worth a punt regardless in my opinion.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

R

A

Anonymous

hifi_nut:Ketch:hifi_nut:Got one of these at 10m and it's great, I don't think i'm missing out. Certainly my wallets fatter.

R

Considering your budget was £200max , for £21 it's worth a punt regardless in my opinion.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

R

Worth a punt indeed!

I ordered the above 9.5m length HDMI and (with the help of my brother and girlfriend) proceeded to blind test it against my existing QED HDMI-P 1m length.

There was absolutely no difference! Okay, so I wasn't expecting that either. I have banged on about the need for quality cabling for ages now, so I have come to one of two conclusions....

a) The cable from ukhdmi is a far better quality cable than the price tag suggests (maybe its a chord in disguise!), or

b) I have finally proved to myself that there is no discernable difference between HDMI leads after all (assuming similar levels of shielding).

Either way, I am happy to announce that my pocket is £150+ heavier and my picture quality has been retained!

Many thanks to all (especially hifi-nut for the link).

Ketch

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Good stuff - hence why there's no substitute for buying from a money back dealer with these sort of things so you can see for yourself if there's any difference - if you can make the saving, then it's fantastic!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts