HDMI 1.4 & 3D - Is it worth all the fuss

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been reading about the new 1.4 HDMI standard and i cant seem to understand why you would change your AV kit just for this. I have the following

Samsung UE46 B8000 - NEW

Denon 4308A Receiver - 12 month old

Denon 3800BD Blu ray - New

B & W 684 Surround - 12 Month old

I would like to think the kit i have performs very well indeed. Technology moves so fast these day kit is out of date before you get it home.

I am sure the manufacturers plan it this way to maximise sales.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mark8par: I have been reading about the new 1.4 HDMI standard and i cant seem to understand why you would change your AV kit just for this.

You wouldn't and nobody's asking you to. Given that most current equipment doesn't use a number of the available features in 1.3 (such as Deep Colour) you don't really need to worry about it.

I am sure the manufacturers plan it this way to maximise sales.

No, in this case I think it's more likely that this is a new connection that offers the possibility of a lot more uses and they're still working out what those uses could or should be and how to implement them and more to the point, making sure everybody implements them in the same way. Some of the 1.4 features, such as two-way audio (to send audio from the TV back down the cable to the amp) and the built-in ethernet channel look pretty useful. Whether they ever get used by the manufacturers is a different matter and really nothing to concern yourself with.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:No, it was there along.

Really? Bizarre, could have sworn it wasn't...

And manufacturers doing something to maximise sales? Whatever next...?

I know! Crazy old world...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts