HDCP Compatibility Problem with Sky +HD and Pioneer Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I understand that there is a well-known compatibility problem between older Pioneer Plasma TVs and the latest Sky +HD boxes, but has anyone experienced this with a Pioneer receiver?

I have a Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S receiver that’s almost 3 years old. It worked happily with my first Sky +HD box for about 2 years until the HD box packed up in the summer. Within a week or so of connecting a new HD box, I got the “this display does not support HDCP. Please disconnect your HDMI connection” message you can read all about at http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/press/warrantystatement.html

After getting this message, I couldn’t watch Sky +HD, and I couldn’t watch my HDMI connected DV Recorder either. According to the engineer from my local Pioneer repair centre, the new Sky box seems to have “corrupted” the HDMI module. Snag is, my receiver is the first one they have seen go like this, hence it is not covered by Pioneer’s undertaking to replace the HDMI module (of their plasma TVs) with a newer version free of charge. In a nutshell, if I want it repaired, I need to fork out £392!

I think I’m being shafted, and that either Pioneer or Sky or both have known all about this problem for ages. Has anyone else had a similar problem with a receiver?

A

Anonymous

Hi Russ,

Merry Christmas!

Picture this: Christmas day 4.30pm a message comes up on my Panasonic TH42PV500B (4 years old) "this display does not support HDCP". have read most forums but was interested in yoursw because i have the smae amp "Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S receiver" plus a denon 1920 dvd player and Sky HD box. what did you do in the end to resolve the problem, i would be extremely interested to find out.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards, Nick.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've heard of some problems with Onkyo receivers, too - though it's obviously not their issue, but Sky's. I know if you try again (eg hit the TV Guide button on the Sky remote and select the programme again) it can often play at the second attempt). Also check you're using the latest firmware for your receiver, as i'm sure manufacturers are working on workarounds for this - the website of the relevant manufacturer should list available firmware updates, or check with your retailer....

A

Anonymous

Hi, I own a Philips 37PFL7603 and have just pre registered for Sky HD. However, I have noted that the net seems to be full of stories of compatibility problems between Philips and Sky HD STB. I asked Philips for their view and they say its not their problem, its due to Sky recently updating their firmware which has caused the HDCP issue. Sounds like a classic case of pass the buck. I note that under the 'Your Opinion' section of your review of this model, someone has recently posted confirming there are Sky HDCP issues with this TV and with others. Isnt this a bit of a worry? Sounds like a nightmare to sort out and is putting me off Sky HD. It seems ridiculous that since Sky HD was launched there have been so many issues with various flatscreen manufacturers.Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts