HD TRACKS, DOES ANYBODY HEAR THE DIFFERENCE??

apique

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have been downloading some HD tracks in 24/96 and 24/192 after all the big Neil Young Pono marketing......and I have played them back with my FiiO X3 and Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphones.

The truth? I cannot tell the difference in most of them, comparing with rips to flac from my cd´s......and if I can tell then it is so minimal that for me it is not worth the price.......and if I get some new remasters from old records, like Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, Dylan, Neil Young himself.... etc.. then I do not see the point at all....

So, I am reaching to the conclusion that all this fuss about HD is only to fill your PC drive with Gbytes and nothing else.

Or do I need a "better" player than FiiO to feel the difference??

I also wanted to play them back in my home system which is good enough to really hear differences, specially th speakers: Cayin CD 15-T + Lavardin IS + Graham LS/9 speakers but I don´t have an A/D converter and hearing the results on my FiiO I don´t want to spend the money.

So my question is: The FiiO has the Optical and Line outputs. Can I connect the line out directly to the amp using a minijack to RCA connector converter? Will this diminish the quality of the playback ? Do I really need the A/D converter? Is there a way to burn a cd with 24/96 or higher resolution? My CD player has a 192/24 A/D, so it should play it back.

And also, anybody feeling the same about the HD tracks playback as me? Or you really can notice a substantial difference between a 16/44 remastered and a 24/96??? Is it me? My ears??? Getting old???

Thanks for the help

Agustin from Barcelona

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You can use the analogue output from the fiio to your amp, you will obviously be dependent on the quality of that output.

And no you can't write 24-bit to CD, they're 16-bit only.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Apique,

Try this from one of my other threads:

If you want to check out whether it's worth paying the difference for Hi-res files take a look at the song on the Oppo website here called "Vision of Her".

https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

You can download the song in its original DSD 64 master or conversions through FLAC or WAV down to MP3 at 320khz. Personally I think I can hear a difference from the MP3, but that's it. But my ears are 57 years old.

Other comments on this thread are very valid. I've found that the main reasons I buy downloads is either for a superior mix or surround sound effect.

I thought surround music would be "carp", but actually I have found it quite good!!

Happy listening.

apique

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi jmjones

I´ll try what you say about the oppo, but I feel as you do, only can tell the difference from mp3 to flac or wav etc, but especially if the rip is from a new remastered cd, the difference from that flac file to 24/96 or 192 it is impossible to discern......my ears are also 55, so......

Thanks for the info

apique said:
Hi jmjones

I´ll try what you say about the oppo, but I feel as you do, only can tell the difference from mp3 to flac or wav etc, but especially if the rip is from a new remastered cd, the difference from that flac file to 24/96 or 192 it is impossible to discern......my ears are also 55, so......

Thanks for the info

Perhaps as we get older the hearing range does falter. I find I can still discern subtle differences on some hires files although admittedly most of these are of a classical nature. The differences tend to blur dramatically if trying to spot any improvements whilst listening to more modern rock or blues tracks.

CDs are going to be around for a lot longer yet! I do wish the SACD format had taken off more than it ever did though.

TRENDING THREADS