HD DVD Problem

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I would welcome any views on the following : I still use a Toshiba EP 30 HD player to view some of the dozen HD discs I purchased. The player (menu option set to 'HDMI Auto' ) is linked to my Sony STR DH800 amplifier by HDMI but the amplifier's display will only show 'Linear PCM 48 ' and never 'Dolby Digital' or 'Dolby True HD ', even whe the disc menus are set to those options. I can get 'Dolby Digital ' displayed by connecting an optical lead ( as with SKY HD ) but it seems impossible to get ' Dolby True HD ' flagged up. Incidentally, connecting my Blue Ray player to the amplifier produces no such problems . Any help would be appreciated.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi,you will only get the standerd dolby digital/dts on dvd,s.on hd-dvd the toshiba decodes internally,so,it sends the signal out as multich pcm.but you are still hearing the uncompressed sound on some hd-dvd discs.I have a toshiba hd-dvd player and still love it to bits.Your player will not bitstream the hd-dvd discs,if it did you would see the lights on your amp loight up.Hope this helps.

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply, Sonycentre. So presumably I don't need the optical connection - with the Toshiba set to 'HDMI Auto ' I should hear Dolby Digital if the disc menu is set to that and True HD if that option is available and selected?

TRENDING THREADS