HD Channel Quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening chaps. Is it me or has the UK HD picture quality (Sky and Freeview HD built in) got steadily worse over recent months? BBC One and Two HD in particular really look far less detailed than they used to. Given the fact that 4K is on the horizon, I find it peverse that the UK cannot even deliver EU standard bandwidth for HD at present. I'm currently watching Masterchef: The Professionals and it looks almost like SD. Not happy.
smiley-frown.gif

Any thoughts?

Papalazarou75

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree mate, some programs look good & others not much better than sd at times. I sometimes just put it down to my eyes being "A" not what they were & "B" used to hd so it kinda looks normal now :?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It all depends on the bit-rate the broadcasters use. During the London Olympics, for example, it was extremely noticeable that the BBC had upped the bit-rate and the HD broadcasts looked great, same during Wimbledon. At other times they'll cut it back depending on how much bandwidth is available.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
During the London Olympics, for example, it was extremely noticeable that the BBC had upped the bit-rate and the HD broadcasts looked great,

I hate to disagree, but in my humble opinion I thought they looked absolutely stunning!

daveh75

OneBoxSystem said:
Evening chaps. Is it me or has the UK HD picture quality (Sky and Freeview HD built in) got steadily worse over recent months? BBC One and Two HD in particular really look far less detailed than they used to.
Its you.

Given the fact that 4K is on the horizon, I find it peverse that the UK cannot even deliver EU standard bandwidth for HD at present
smiley-frown.gif

Any thoughts?

Why? '4K' brings along newer more efficient encoding.

The EBU standard for HD delivery was devised years ago and not as relevant as it once was due to improvements in encoding/broadcast standard/delivery etc.

UK channels also are on par with channels throughout Europe BTW, and a lot better than some.

frozen peas

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi OB1,I find that hd recordings via my Panasonic HDD120 pvr look two times better in HD terms than my Panasonic tuner;[ET50] ? But i agree so called HD does vary greatly.Best HD for me at the moment; HOLBY CITY :clap: Via the pvr of course.[Freeview].

Merry Christmas. Frozen peas.

A

Anonymous

daveh75 said:
Why? '4K' brings along newer more efficient encoding.

The EBU standard for HD delivery was devised years ago and not as relevant as it once was due to improvements in encoding/broadcast standard/delivery etc.

UK channels also are on par with channels throughout Europe BTW, and a lot better than some.

I bow to your knowledge....dave. It does vary quite a bit though at present. I took this to heart and played with my TV settings today. Increasing the sharpness and various others (edge enhancer etc.) - I think it looks better! Thanks for the posts.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

mattytun1514 said:
HD on my "Panasonic Viera TX-L32E6B" is that clear it sometimes it feels like Kate Silverton is sitting next to me :?

Is that your fantasy?
smiley-smile.gif

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I've only recently noticed a difference in HD quality moving from a 42" plasma to a 50".. i thought all HD looked great on the 42" but on 50" you can see sometimes its not that great! It finally has made me appreciate the difference between sky hd and blu-ray.. . A lot of the time I was watching the same movie on Sky HD and thought it looked great but now I've started to notice things like blockiness in dark scenes with lower bit rate etc, that are perfect with the equivalent blu-ray... (skyfall for example)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
+1 micks. Sky is good video & sound but only at around dvd quality imo. BD discs have far better video and no contest on sound. Watching 7.39 on bbc it was in 2.4:1 format (black letterbox). No problem but the sound was less than DD (D prologic I guess) and not well balanced. Not a lifechanging 2part series but curious aspect selection without a decent sound format.

Its about time broadcasters thought more about sound as they struggle to embrace ultra high def?

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Before launching their HD channels Sky deliberately cranked down the quality of the sports broadcasts to 'enhance the difference' between standard & HD. Why is it any surprise that they are starting to do the same now with the HD channels in advance of 4K content?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_1205976168 said:
Before launching their HD channels Sky deliberately cranked down the quality of the sports broadcasts to 'enhance the difference' between standard & HD. Why is it any surprise that they are starting to do the same now with the HD channels in advance of 4K content?

Sorry, are they doing this NOW or were they already doing this a year ago when this thread was last replied to?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts