HD, Blue Ray or just upscaling

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need to replace my dvd player. Should I go for a cheap Panasonic EP30, Sony BDPS300 or something else that will upscale dvds ? Don't want to spend more than about £250 & don't want a PS3 either.

A

Anonymous

Forget about HD-DVD at this stage. I would also skip upscaling and go for Blu Ray. Its the future.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Spike66"]I need to replace my dvd player. Should I go for a cheap Panasonic EP30, Sony BDPS300 or something else that will upscale dvds ? Don't want to spend more than about £250 & don't want a PSP either.[/quote]
I recently had to make this decision and after lookin at a few dvd players i then saw a demo of a Toshiba EP-30 HD DVD player and was very impressed and it was only £119 so i did some research and ended up getting the better EP-35 for £189 which included 7 free movies. It's Dolby Digital plus and True HD compatible and upscales dvd brilliantly. The films are getting cheaper too now the format war is over.

A

Anonymous

I too went for the EP35. Got it just before the 7 DVD offer finished. A bargain at £189 and up-scales very well indeed!

Nice to see the TrueHD light come on the Onkyo too :)

Wait for the Panny BD30 for Blu-ray.

A

Anonymous

I went Toshiba and what I've got is fantastic for both HD DVDs and upscaling. Plus the price wasn't much more than the reasonable standalone upscalers. My decision was mainly made on price; I could afford to risk £120 for an ep30 as even if HD DVD mega-flops; I've still got a selection of HD DVDs which look amazing plus my regular DVDs look amazing.

I might look into PS3 if the prices drop again, but at the current prices I have no interest in any standalone Blu-Ray players and the PS3 would currently be a stretch for me as I wouldn't use the gaming aspect too much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is each to their own; depends what your budget, how much you want to use it and what for. Personally, I can't fault what I've got in the EP30 for the money I've paid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts