HD Audio with old 5.1 system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am planning to buy a Sony KDL 40W4500 along with a Bluray player. I currently have 5.1 surround using a Yamaha DSP-E800 processor driving the two rear & front centre and my hifi Arcam A85 driving the fronts (my hifi speakers). I want to keep the existing amp setup and I understand that I can continue to get 5.1 Dolby Prologic or DTS with a suitable Bluray player but can I get HD audio delivered via 5.1 as well? After months of reading up on all the new TV products/standards and pouring over What hifi mags and forums my brain is about done in so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ps. Brilliant mag & website

Yamaha DSP-E800 processor, Yamaha S796 DVD player, Roksan Caspian CD player, Arcam A85 amp, Chord Co interconnects, Monitor Audio Gold Reference speakers.

A

Anonymous

Im in a similar position with an older Denon AV Amp.

The solution appears to be quite simply... buy a BluRar player with analog outputs and feed these to the analog inputs on your amp.

The BluRay player will do the HD processing.

I'm waiting for the Panasonic 55 to come out as this has 7 analog outputs that will pug nicely into my 7 analog inputs on my Denon Amp.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, that's it - just make sure you get a Blu-Ray player which can decode both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio - most of the new ones can do this, but some of the older models were only able to decode Dolby TrueHD onboard, leaving you short changed when playing a disc with a DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack.

A

Anonymous

read this mate it may help

http://blogs.pcworld.com/digitalworld/archives/2007/02/most_home_theat_1.html

A

Anonymous

Huish, professorhat, moonie, thanks for the advice. Looks like the panny BD55 then....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts