How Many Subwoofers...?

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Currently running 5.1 system using Mission fronts/rears/centre, Paradigm sub, Yamaha DSP-E800 surround sound processor (driving centre/rears/sub) and Arcam Alpha 8R (driving fronts).

Using for both hi-fi and home cinema.

Is there any merit in adding an extra sub to the system in order to have stereo subs for listening to music? My Yamaha doesn't have split sub pre outs so I guess I'd have to use the pre-outs on the Arcam. I'd then be without the LFE channel for home cinema unless I continue to connect one or both subs to my Yamaha...(subs driven by two amps simultaneously...? sounds wrong to me) or buy a *third* sub purely for LFE home cinema.

Or should I consider buying a different amp/processor to allow me to control twin subs properly?

Or is the whole stereo sub idea for music a waste of time anyway?!

Thanks!

Alan.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You can split the signal, but maybe it is time to upgrade your processor - even if you still only use DVD, processing has improved a fair amount of the years, and more modern processors* are far more flexible in their set up.

*There are no processors around like your DSP-E800 any more (with the additional amplification on board to add surround sound to a two channel system), but you can use AV receivers in the same way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts