HD 560s vs HD 600

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
I am still trying to decide which open back Sennheiser to buy. I am currently looking at the 560s.

I see that the HD 600 is liked and considered to be a standard by so many. I could splash out and buy it, but I don't like the idea of being sucked into a new hobby of burning cash. DAC, AMP, ..
And also, I am looking for something for general everyday use with my PC. (My motherboard can handle 300 Ohms.) That general use could be Youtube, movies, or my own CD rips. I don't have Tidal and don't see myself ever buying it.
So, I think that for me, the HD 600 would be an overkill.

As far as I can see, the shortcomings of the 560s are only in trebles. Too bright, more sibilance.
This is important to me, because I hear a fair bit of sibilance and other specks of treble distortion with my current ATH-SR6BT. I also tried the Sony WH-1000XM3 and returned them due to that.

But could this be fixed with an EQ? Looking at the frequency response curves, the difference in trebles between the two is not that great. Or is it?

I would appreciate some help from those who have the 560s, and generally, on using EQ's.HD 560s.JPGHD 600.JPG

Gray

2 years ago, (when one place had it for £444), I couldn't resist trying the 600 when a Bax shop 10% discount made their price £211.
I was comparing it to my 590. Now I had read that my 590 used the same drivers as the 600. Whether or not that was true, I still expected the 600 to be a lot better. Tried them extensively for a week, then returned them.
I had been hoping for a less veiled sound.
The 560S give that less veiled sound. I wouldn't describe the sound as bright, but you would need to try with your troublesome music before fully committing.

Plenty of people EQ their headphones to achieve their preferred balance.
But you found it necessary to reduce 4kHz by 10dB Aussie.
Either those Sony's of yours were genuinely dodgy, or you've got a severe allergy to that frequency.

Last edited:

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
But you found it necessary to reduce 4kHz by 10dB Aussie.
Either those Sony's of yours were genuinely dodgy, or you've got a severe allergy to that frequency.

Yes. With the Sony XM3 I had to reduce 2.8, 4 and 5.6 kHz sliders on Audition 20 band EQ by 10db.
With my current ATH-SR6BT I have to reduce just the 2.8kHz by 10db to achieve the same 'distortion' free effect.

I use the track from The Pavarotti Edition, Vol 1 Donizetti, L'elisir d'amore / Act 2 "Una furtiva lagrima"
My own FLAC rip on PC. The track is on free Spotify too, but sounds much worse than my own.
  • Luciano Pavarotti (tenor)
  • English Chamber Orchestra
  • Richard Bonynge
  • Recorded: 1970-07-10
  • Recording Venue: Kingsway Hall, London
That is supposed to be one of the best if not the best recordings of this aria with Pavarotti.

It is possible that it is my ears. I do have a decent deficiency. After 1kHz it goes down steeply, at 2kHz down to 50 and at 4 kHz down to 70. 9kHz is the last I can hear.
So it is strange that I have to reduce the frequencies I already have problem with.

For my ears, the XM3 was definitely worse than the much cheaper AT. Could be fault, could be the characteristic.
So probably I should be looking for a pair of headphones with a dip in that area, so I will not have to EQ them so much.

Last edited:

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
From an article about harmonic distortion -

"What you will see is some headphones will perform better below 1kHz and others better above 1kHz. Our ears are most sensitive around 3-4kHz so you want distortion lowest there. We are less sensitive to low frequencies so a rise there is less important.
Now the magic number. 0.03% = -70dB. The dynamic range when listening to music at average to loud levels is about 70dB. This means that distortion below 0.03% we simply cannot hear when playing music. "

The XM3 (on the left) has a fairly high harmonic distortion at the frequencies where I hear it -

XM3 harmonic distortion.JPGHD 600 distortion.JPG

The one on the right is the HD 600. That should be close to inaudible.

From the HD 500's the new 560s has the lowest harmonic distortion -

Sennheiser harmonic distortion.JPG

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
....Just be able to return whatever you buy and try.
that is normally not possible in Australia, not even with Amazon. From time to time I see some brands or shops inviting people to do it, but not very often.
There are brick-and-mortar shops where one could listen to headphones and speakers, but now with Covid they don't do it.

Gray

that is normally not possible in Australia, not even with Amazon. From time to time I see some brands or shops inviting people to do it, but not very often.
There are brick-and-mortar shops where one could listen to headphones and speakers, but now with Covid they don't do it.
That's a shame.
And yet, whenever I read the Sennheiser warranty leaflets, I see that Australia (uniquely) gets additional cover.

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
And yet, whenever I read the Sennheiser warranty leaflets, I see that Australia (uniquely) gets additional cover
Yes, we have good consumer laws, but that only covers faulty goods.
Trying and sending back is up to individual sellers.
Frankly, who wants to buy a pair of "new" headphones which were already used by someone and sent back?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts