Have you met any famous people?

Could be anyone from the present or past, in any field of entertainment, films, music or sport.

Back in the 90s I lived near Sutton in Surrey. One day I was shopping and it was a warm day, so decided to pop into the Secombe Centre (Harry Secombe used to live on the same road) for a quick pint or two.

This bloke was turned with his back to me in the outside area as I walked in. I didn't take any notice. After buying the drink went outside and this bloke was Windsor Davis. We just sat chatting for 15 mins or so until he left. What a lovely guy. We didn't speak about his acting roles, just about ordinary stuff like the weather, traffic congestion and mundane stuff.

He was so recognisable: broad shoulders and that distinctive voice.

He offered to buy me a drink but I declined as I had heavy bags of shopping.

Not the greatest actor but a lovely human being.

Reactions: Al ears
I have bought Phil Lynott and rest of the band a pint in a Dallas nightclub....
does that count?
Also once lowered Prince William over the edge of a quarry...... :)
the look on the faces of some of his protection squad was brilliant..... :cool:
Hasten to say it was when he visited our Mountain Rescue Team, I didn't do it alone.
later we had a visit from the then Prince of Wales, now King.
I certainly felt honoured.

Last edited:
Could be anyone from the present or past, in any field of entertainment, films, music or sport.

Back in the 90s I lived near Sutton in Surrey. One day I was shopping and it was a warm day, so decided to pop into the Secombe Centre (Harry Secombe used to live on the same road) for a quick pint or two.

This bloke was turned with his back to me in the outside area as I walked in. I didn't take any notice. After buying the drink went outside and this bloke was Windsor Davis. We just sat chatting for 15 mins or so until he left. What a lovely guy. We didn't speak about his acting roles, just about ordinary stuff like the weather, traffic congestion and mundane stuff.

He was so recognisable: broad shoulders and that distinctive voice.

He offered to buy me a drink but I declined as I had heavy bags of shopping.

Not the greatest actor but a lovely human being.
"Oh dear, what a pity, never mind!"

Samd

In the 1970s I was attached to the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) in Finnsbury Square, London and I received a telephone call from a man asking for information about the location of a particular artillery battery during the war and its current role etc. I interrupted him and asked him who he was and he replied 'Spike Milligan' to which I responded with 'Yes and I'm the Duke of Edinburgh' or some such similar and terminated the call.

A short time later, The Regimental Colonel, General Hail-Smiling-Morn (not quite his real name) rang me and said:

Mr D.... This is General Hail-Smiling-Morn (not quite my real name) here and I have just had a call from Spike Milligan................

It transpired it was research for one of his books and he was good enough to laugh about it over a drink in the Sutling Room a few days later.

If ever there was a man to whom the Dryden - 'Great Wits are sure to madness near allied' applies - it was Spike.

Last edited:

jjbomber

I was at the Dubai Desert Classic by the player's lounge and saw a couple of free seats. I sat there and a gentleman came up to talk to the ladies opposite. Then he came over to me and said that it was OK, the princesses would allow me to sit there. Then I saw his gun and realised he wasn't joking. Anyway, the Dubai Royal Family were lovely! My cousin handed them his business cards for central heating. Not sure they need it in Dubai, but we'd had the odd shandy or two by then.

Literally 100s of golfers and rugby players. Met Lord Botham at the golf this year. What a wonderful bloke. We talked about rugby the whole time. Met Mike Rutherford there as well. It was the day that Genesis announced the sale of their catalogue for $300million. Should have asked him for a loan.

Lorraine Chase at Royal Ascot. She was a good laugh. My mate had a security firm, so we met loads. Sir Alex Ferguson at Aintree for the Grand National. Was body guard for Carl Fogarty for a morning at Brands Hatch, though nothing much to do. Again, wonderful guy. Minder for Eddie Kidd for a book signing event at Brands Hatch in the afternoon. Met the Australian cricket team at Headingley. Had a good chat to Adam Gilchrist. My mate got to deliver a birthday cake to the England dressing roon.

WayneKerr

I was at the Dubai Desert Classic by the player's lounge and saw a couple of free seats. I sat there and a gentleman came up to talk to the ladies opposite. Then he came over to me and said that it was OK, the princesses would allow me to sit there. Then I saw his gun and realised he wasn't joking. Anyway, the Dubai Royal Family were lovely! My cousin handed them his business cards for central heating. Not sure they need it in Dubai, but we'd had the odd shandy or two by then.

Literally 100s of golfers and rugby players. Met Lord Botham at the golf this year. What a wonderful bloke. We talked about rugby the whole time. Met Mike Rutherford there as well. It was the day that Genesis announced the sale of their catalogue for $300million. Should have asked him for a loan.

Lorraine Chase at Royal Ascot. She was a good laugh. My mate had a security firm, so we met loads. Sir Alex Ferguson at Aintree for the Grand National. Was body guard for Carl Fogarty for a morning at Brands Hatch, though nothing much to do. Again, wonderful guy. Minder for Eddie Kidd for a book signing event at Brands Hatch in the afternoon. Met the Australian cricket team at Headingley. Had a good chat to Adam Gilchrist. My mate got to deliver a birthday cake to the England dressing roon.
Blimey! :)

Gray

Met a different one every week in a few sound / light engineer jobs.
Made a point of visiting Tommy Cooper in his dressing room.
And Bob Monkhouse remembered my name which impressed me.
All were aware of the importance of the engineers on live shows - many were happy to give instruction / thanks via Managers / roadies only.

(I actually got paid to listen live to the 3 Degrees and their Philadelphia backing band - when their stuff was at the height of its popularity).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I met Bryan Robson once when he was the celebrity who cut the ribbon at an opening of a new TNT depot in the early 90's. As a big United fan I was in awe and hence a bit tongue tied, but nonetheless I got to meet one of my heroes. Surprisingly smaller in real life than I'd imagined from watching him play.

Stewart Lee and Rich Hall after gigs.

The lead singer from Cornershop used to work behind the bar of a pub I frequented many years ago - he could always be relied upon to give the wrong change. We nicknamed him Captain Counting.

Jackie Stewart, Rubens Barrichello and Jodie Sheckter at an F3 race many, many years ago.

Oh, and I went to school with the son of one of Showaddywaddy. Arrogant little beetle he was too...

WayneKerr

Met a different one every week in a few sound / light engineer jobs.
Made a point of visiting Tommy Cooper in his dressing room.
And Bob Monkhouse remembered my name which impressed me.
All were aware of the importance of the engineers on live shows - many were happy to give instruction / thanks via Managers / roadies only.

(I actually got paid to listen live to the 3 Degrees and their Philadelphia backing band - when their stuff was at the height of its popularity).
You missed out your meeting with Ken Ishiwata :)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

A sad one for me - David Amess, met once in his office, then, by chance, out on the street.

'Just' a politician, but I've never been so shocked by news of the death of a public figure 😔

(On the night of his murder I was approached by a Spanish TV crew - was happy to confirm to them that the glowing tributes were fully justified).

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts