Have you ever......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
Yes. The extended cut. (I was in the queue for a mcflurry and couldn't be bothered to type it again, will seem like an anti-climax now)

I used to have a Mahoosive pair of Mission M35 speakers. They were a great party speaker whilst at uni, combined with my Marantz PM7200, seemingly bottomless power. But then uni finished, and I was living with Hollie in a terraced house, and the party hifi seemed pretty redundant. The Missions were poor at low volume, and took a lot of juice to get them moving. The soft dome tweeter + Marantz wasn't the most detailed combo as well.

missionkimmylp2.jpg

(Not my Cat, but this pic was better than the product shot :) )

So, I went to Sevenoaks. The B&W 685 was in the window ex dem, down to about £300 I think. Review was 5*, I had made my mind up, the demo was just a formality. Except I hated them. Oddly I had always fancied some B&W, so really tried to like them but couldn't. Tried some Kefs, tried something else I hadn't heard of, then the saleschappie recommended I try some MA BR5s. Even ex dem they were £50 over budget, but when I factored in cost of stands it worked out even. Thought I didn't want floor standers because of the low volume use, but gave them a go. Absolutely loved them. They were detailed at low volumes, but I could still be a hooligan if the need took me >)Have been back to Sevenoaks in Bristol for nearly everything since.

That's better.......despite the cataclasm at the start. BTW.

Is that part of a catacoustic study being made of the room? :oops:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I went into comet to buy a gard to stop my son from posting his cars into the vhs garage he managed to get 2 cars and a postman pat van in and the wife could not understand why the vidoe tape would not go in came out with a 25inch telly don't know how that happend:) :)

John Duncan

When I first came down to London in 88 I bought a Revolver when I'd fully expected to buy a Systemdek. I also bought a Rotel 820 something (BX2?) and took it home and hated it, so traded it back for an Arcam Alpha 2.

I've gone into a shop expecting to buy a Yamaha Pacifica 912 and came out with a Godin SD.

My wife went to John Lewis with instructions to buy whichever of two £400 CRTs she preferred the look of and came home with a £1500 Philips LCD.

Harrier88

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
Dear sir,

Scouting around the internet I arrived at your post referencing the mission pre/power amps.

I’ve been wanting to try these for a couple of decades and was wondering if yours were still in the loft?

I missed out on the opportunity to purchase a set plus the turntable back in the very early 90’s.

Recently I gave a new lease of life to a Quad 11 valve system with a massive overhaul... ( and a bloody great bill!)

But it’s not quite what I’m looking for.

would you consider parting with the mission 777/776 if you still have them?

If not no worries...the quads are on the market and I’ll work out a replacement!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Harrier88 said:
Dear sir,

Scouting around the internet I arrived at your post referencing the mission pre/power amps.

I’ve been wanting to try these for a couple of decades and was wondering if yours were still in the loft?

I missed out on the opportunity to purchase a set plus the turntable back in the very early 90’s.

Recently I gave a new lease of life to a Quad 11 valve system with a massive overhaul... ( and a bloody great bill!)

If not no worries...the quads are on the market and I’ll work out a replacement!

Hi Harrier 88,

Yes I do still have the Mission amps in the loft.

In fact I have the early satin black 776 preamp upgraded with moving coil cartridge boards and one original black 777 power amp .

I also have a silver hammered type finish 777 power amp which is the 777 BU version, all come in original boxes.

I must point out that they have not been used for many years and I would expect that both power amps will need to be serviced and fitted with new reservoir capacitors .

The 776 preamp will definitely need new batteries and a service .

If you are interested I will post an email address so that you can contact me for more details .

rainsoothe

That's how I got sucked in the Naim trap. Went in to get Sugden or Simaudio + Proac floorstanders, left with Naim Supernait 2, Dac V1 and Martin Logan Motion 40. Last year, when in London, went in to audition Spendor standmounts, left with B&W PM1.

Harrier88

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
Electro said:
Harrier88 said:
Dear sir,

Hi Harrier 88,

In fact I have the early satin black 776 preamp upgraded with moving coil cartridge boards and one original black 777 power amp .

I also have a silver hammered type finish 777 power amp which is the 777 BU version, all come in original boxes.

I must point out that they have not been used for many years and I would expect that both power amps will need to be serviced and fitted with new reservoir capacitors .

If you are interested I will post an email address so that you can contact me for more details .

Feel free to contact me at info@illustre.org

Harrier88

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
Harrier88 said:
Electro said:
Harrier88 said:
Dear sir,

Hi Harrier 88,

If you have any issue with this email address let me know and I’ll supply another.

regards

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Harrier88 said:
Harrier88 said:
Electro said:
Harrier88 said:
Dear sir,

Hi Harrier 88,

If you have any issue with this email address let me know and I’ll supply another.

regards

Message sent .

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Infiniteloop said:
Many moons ago I went into a dealer's for an Audiolab 8000a. Came out with this:

Really wish I still had it......
Is that the mighty Kraken? If so it's definitely on my list of amps I need to own one day.

It is (was, alas). It ran hot, being class A and had an off board power supply. It sounded sublime even with a pair of Monitor Audio R300MD’s. It, and another hot box Amp, a Musical Fidelity A1 is what actually got me interested in Valve Amps.

plastic penguin said:
Back in the 90s I read a lot of good things about a German amplifier called Restek Challenger. Alas, never checked for outlets and as a consequence never heard one.

Drat!

I don't know why but your signature pic along with 'drat' made me think of **** Dastardly for a moment..... am I showing my age?

P.S. there's always a chance to hear one... http://www.hi-fi.ru/auction/detail/1101841?refsource=hifishark

I don't know why but your signature pic along with 'drat' made me think of **** Dastardly for a moment..... am I showing my age?

P.S. there's always a chance to hear one... http://www.hi-fi.ru/auction/detail/1101841?refsource=hifishark

A week ago, with the lurgy, I had a laugh like Mutley.

Looks like that Challenger is in Russia. Not that keen on one. Looks nice though.

(Didn't a sig pic used to be called an avatar?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts