Have you ever......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
......gone into a dealer knowing exactly what you want, but then come out with something completely different?

If so, please tell your story.

Thx

Cno

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
About 6-7 years ago (I think!) I went into Sevenoaks in Plymouth to buy the Roksan amp and CD that was getting good reviews at the time (long time ago - might have been Rotel).

After a lot of listening I came out with the Musical Fidelity A3.2 Amp and CD player that I still have.

Oh and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S8's.

Still pleased with it all but now my CD is about to go as I listen to all my music of my NAS.

Not as such, but when I visited Infidelity to look at a cartridge change, they fitted a Ortofon cartridge there was a very prominent 'hum' coming from the turntable. He said the arm was faulty, as luck had it, there was a Henlys rep on his weekly/monthly visit - the TT still under warranty from a different shop - decided to replace it FOC. However, they didn't have stock of the exact arm for the Xpression 1, so they upgraded to the next model (not sure whether it was upgraded or downgraded TBH).

After a 3 day wait I went back to collect the TT and heard the ClearAudio cartridge, and, as they say, the rest is history...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
......gone into a dealer knowing exactly what you want, but then come out with something completely different?

Thx

Cno
Yep. I went into my dealers in 1994 with every intention of buying the Sony 3-head cassette deck that WHF was absolutely raving about with Dolby S, possibly twin-capstan drive and every bell and whistle you could imagine. I can even tell you what cassette I took with me to demo it: a newly-released double album called Rock Anthems. I listened to the Sony and I was duly impressed. WHF were not lying when they said it sounded amazing. Then my dealer said to me "before you buy the Sony, have you ever listened a Nakamichi?". The only model in my price range was the DR-3. I was really reticent about it. No Dolby S, no calibration controls other than bias adjust, no track-search, two heads not three, and you even had to push physical buttons to tell it what tape you were using (ferric, CrO2, metal). But then I heard it, and finally I understood what all the fuss was about. The Sony sounded amazing, but this was in a different league, beyond amazing. I kept if for 18 years before selling it a few weeks ago.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes many years ago I wanted to upgrade my amplifier , I had a Nytec reciever CTA 252XD and a pair of Mission 770's and was interested in upgrading the Nytec to a Meridian 101 pre and a pair of 105 monoblocks so I borrowed the Meridians listened at home and also tried the pre amp section of the Nytec into the 105 Monoblocks and it turned out that I much prefered this combination but that is another story :) .

So I returned the demo Meridians to the dealer with the intension of ordering a new pair of 105's , I got to the shop and the salesman said Ohh while your waiting pop into the demo room and listen to a new pre power combo that has just arrived its amazing .

I went into the demo room and Mission 776 pre and 777 power amps were playing and I sat there for two hours and I new straight away that I wanted them even though I could not afford them so I signed on the dotted line and got myself into serious debt, but I did not regret it for one second , in fact I still have them in the loft .

Here is some info on the Missions .

http://www.stancurtis.com/M777.htm

CnoEvil said:

Thx

Cno

Hi CnE

Wanted to pair a Pink Triangle Ordinal DAC with the truly great Pioneer A-400. I instead ended up trading in the A-400 for a Cyrus 3/PSX-R :cry: What a fool |(

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

Wanted to pair a Pink Triangle Ordinal DAC with the truly great Pioneer A-400. I instead ended up trading in the A-400 for a Cyrus 3/PSX-R :cry: What a fool |(

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

You're supposed to be on the other side of the fence! >)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

Thx

Cno

No!

Unless you mean gone in to get an amp and come out with a washing machine. :)

I went to a dealer and bought a sub, and nearly came out with a divorce!

CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CnE

At the time i was on your side of the fence
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CnE

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The trouble is, the grass is always greener on the side that you're not standing on! :?

D

Deleted member 2457

I once bought another Blu-ray player I didn't really need - the Pioneer BDP-LX70a. Since ended up selling because I decided I did not really need two! :)

CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CnE

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The trouble is, the grass is always greener on the side that you're not standing on! :?

Hi CnE

Stop it or people are going to start talking :grin: I think that we should we start talking about ATC instead
smiley-tongue-out.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Went in to try a Naim NAIT 5i and ended up ordering the then new kid on the block, Naim Uniti.

It was only nearly 12 months later when it came round to actually paying for it that reality set in
smiley-cry.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CnE

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CnE

Stop it or people are going to start talking :grin: I think that we should we start talking about ATC instead
smiley-tongue-out.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

When you say talking about ATC it's not about SCM11, is it...? :roll: :rofl:

Paul.

Yes. The extended cut. (I was in the queue for a mcflurry and couldn't be bothered to type it again, will seem like an anti-climax now)

I used to have a Mahoosive pair of Mission M35 speakers. They were a great party speaker whilst at uni, combined with my Marantz PM7200, seemingly bottomless power. But then uni finished, and I was living with Hollie in a terraced house, and the party hifi seemed pretty redundant. The Missions were poor at low volume, and took a lot of juice to get them moving. The soft dome tweeter + Marantz wasn't the most detailed combo as well.

missionkimmylp2.jpg

(Not my Cat, but this pic was better than the product shot :) )

So, I went to Sevenoaks. The B&W 685 was in the window ex dem, down to about £300 I think. Review was 5*, I had made my mind up, the demo was just a formality. Except I hated them. Oddly I had always fancied some B&W, so really tried to like them but couldn't. Tried some Kefs, tried something else I hadn't heard of, then the saleschappie recommended I try some MA BR5s. Even ex dem they were £50 over budget, but when I factored in cost of stands it worked out even. Thought I didn't want floor standers because of the low volume use, but gave them a go. Absolutely loved them. They were detailed at low volumes, but I could still be a hooligan if the need took me >)

Have been back to Sevenoaks in Bristol for nearly everything since.

TRENDING THREADS