Have What Hi Fi Heard The Cyrus CD8SE ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't think 'bad luck' has anything to do with it. I had 4 CD8X's before this. 5 faulty CD players bad luck? Come on! I'm glad your happy with yours so far ffish. As far as I'm concerned Cyrus can't produce a decent £1k+ CD player. When I think back to Meridian's old 500 series of not that long ago the build quality and integrity is incomparable.

A

Anonymous

Hi Fi Decision:I don't think 'bad luck' has anything to do with it. I had 4 CD8X's before this. 5 faulty CD players bad luck? Come on! I'm glad your happy with yours so far ffish. As far as I'm concerned Cyrus can't produce a decent £1k+ CD player. When I think back to Meridian's old 500 series of not that long ago the build quality and integrity is incomparable.

I think the thousands of people currently using CD8X's in their hifi set-ups would disagree that Cyrus cannot produce a decent player. Are you sure you arent trying to use yours in some sort of electro-magnetic forcefield or sauna
emotion-2.gif

Edit - I wouldnt be suprised if the SE version has buggy issues on release. Their AV Master was/is bloody awful software wise.

A

Anonymous

I tried out the CD8SE today (before reading this lot!) and had problems with it rejecting a disc I brought with me to the demo. Also thought the front-loader was a bit fiddly: if you didn't genetly press the disc in far enough, it would half-load it, try to read it, and then spit it back out again. I did try out the CD8X and was happy with it (hopefully will have better luck than HIFi Decision
emotion-5.gif
) and might decide to send it for upgrade at some point in the future.

A

Anonymous

Hi all, this may have already been covered, but am I correct in thinking that the CD 6s is factory upgradable to the new 6se and/or 8se? And is it known how much each of thos options costs?

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

I had a good listen to the 8se on saturday.It blew both my wife and I away and I would have stumped up the cost of both 8se +psxr there and then......However the dealer , Martins hi-fi in Norwich whom I have used for all my gear over the last 25yrs and cannot speak too highly of flatly refused to sell me one untill the disc error issue on a number of the units they had in had been resolved.

When you hear something as good as this combo it makes you go weak at the knees and you start to lust after it ....but they have to sort out these issues first I'm affraid before I delve into my pocket.... and I feel I've got a few months wait before I do.

I'm sure any respectable dealer who has encoutered these problems would doo likewise....customers should not be asked to be guinea pigs for ironing out problems .

A

Anonymous

Hi

I notice no one has replied to this: upgrade prices are now on the Cyrus website;

6s to 6se is £300

8x to 8se is £300

6s to 8se is £500

for early version 6/8 add an extra £50

Presumably some one other than me must be interested...

A

Anonymous

Hi Fi Decision:I don't think 'bad luck' has anything to do with it. I had 4 CD8X's before this. 5 faulty CD players bad luck? Come on! I'm glad your happy with yours so far ffish. As far as I'm concerned Cyrus can't produce a decent £1k+ CD player. When I think back to Meridian's old 500 series of not that long ago the build quality and integrity is incomparable.

Buy an Arcam instead. You just sound bitter - and why keep buying Cyrus if you're not happy?
emotion-5.gif

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
"Buy an Arcam instead. You just sound bitter - and why keep buying Cyrus if you're not happy?"

In all fairness to the guy ive been in a similar situation with another company, once you are happy with the sound - you WANT your product to perform and also he is correct that at the price cyrus are charging it SHOULD perform. I gave said company (not cyrus) 5 tries to give me an amp that would work properly (i was very patient). I even upgraded two models in their range hoping it would work. Eventually ended up getting a refund (and bust speakers thanks to the amp) and ill never go to that company again regardless of how good there stuff is supposed to be. Its just a shame that my custom wasnt really valued as they palmed me off with half arsed excuses and reasons that my particular problem is an isolated one (even thought i got lots of examples on the net of the same fault. Ill never go back now. Maybe the same should be done here? Finally in the intrest of fairness i must stress that whenever i personally have dealt with Cyrus customer service team, they were never anything less excellent. Hmmm...

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS:"Buy an Arcam instead. You just sound bitter - and why keep buying Cyrus if you're not happy?"

In all fairness to the guy ive been in a similar situation with another company, once you are happy with the sound - you WANT your product to perform and also he is correct that at the price cyrus are charging it SHOULD perform. I gave said company (not cyrus) 5 tries to give me an amp that would work properly (i was very patient). I even upgraded two models in their range hoping it would work. Eventually ended up getting a refund (and bust speakers thanks to the amp) and ill never go to that company again regardless of how good there stuff is supposed to be. Its just a shame that my custom wasnt really valued as they palmed me off with half arsed excuses and reasons that my particular problem is an isolated one (even thought i got lots of examples on the net of the same fault. Ill never go back now. Maybe the same should be done here? Finally in the intrest of fairness i must stress that whenever i personally have dealt with Cyrus customer service team, they were never anything less excellent. Hmmm...

Good point/post
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Canon 1D MkIII anyone?

emotion-2.gif

I'm not getting this one... Nasty plastiky stuff IMO...Nikon D3 is far better...

A

Anonymous

Sorry to dig up this old thread but.....

Have recently (last Tuesday) auditioned the 8SE. We had a really awful time trying to play some of my cds on the player. Would not even take many cds into the tray 50% of the time! Sounded OK (but not remarkable) once playing. A good step up from the 6SE, however.

Ordered a Naim CD5x! Beat the 8SE. Worth the extra £500 IMHO.
emotion-2.gif

Cheers,

Geoff

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts