Have What Hi Fi Heard The Cyrus CD8SE ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I read your reviews of the CD6SE and CDXTSE with interest.

I have a CD8X and am considering a factory upgrade to the CD8SE. Have you heard this model and if so, how does it compare ?

A

Anonymous

Undoubtedly, the CD8SE will lead the field for many years to come, judging by how good the CD6SE is.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah, but we never prejudge like that. You've also got to factor in the fact that the CD6SE is SO spectacular that the 8SE's going to have to work damn hard to justify its £400 premium over that star sibling...

It'll be a fascinating test - we're lining up CD players great and small to throw at it!

A

Anonymous

It certainly will be interesting. The 8 series has pretty much always managed to justify its premium over it's little brother. if this holds for the SE models, we could be looking at a stonker of a disc spinner.

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:It's just arrived - not much we can tell you beyond how beautifully shrink-wrapped the box was at this stage! Review to follow ASAP.

Ooo. Was there bubble wrap? I love bubble wrap.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I heard the 8se a few days ago and again yesterday. Whilst I did'nt listen to it and its predecessor back to back it certainly sounded lovely clear, fast ... fun. As a system with the 8vs2 it easily surpassed the Naim and Arcam systems we've compared it to in every respect imho.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:It's just arrived - not much we can tell you beyond how beautifully shrink-wrapped the box was at this stage! Review to follow ASAP.

At the risk (it seems) of getting some of you over-excited, I can reveal that though there was no bubble-wrap, there was a perfectly applied sheath of plastic film.

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:It's just arrived - not much we can tell you beyond how beautifully shrink-wrapped the box was at this stage! Review to follow ASAP.

At the risk (it seems) of getting some of you over-excited, I can reveal that though there was no bubble-wrap, there was a perfectly applied sheath of plastic film.

Could you say that again?

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:

*snicker* Claire said sheath *chortle*

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:

Could you say that again?

Oh do grow up JD...!

A

Anonymous

Mine's cork. Can't beat a bit of cork for picking at throughout the day!

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:Oh purlease.

Couldn't resist it, shame there was a page break.....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Mine's cork. Can't beat a bit of cork for picking at throughout the day!

Mine is skin - signed Dr. H Lecter.

A

Anonymous

I have one on loan till Saturday from my local hi-fi dealer.Wish I hadn't now cos this is a great cdp!It sounds very detailed.On tracks that I know well,I heard things that I hadn't before and this was the case time after time with this player.The soundstage is nice and solid and although the sound could be described as "fast" compared to say Arcam cd players,it doesn't get fatiguing on the ears.It makes me want to go through my cd collection again just to see what it uncovers.Overall,i'm very impressed.Well done Cyrus.Damn,looks like i'm gonna have to start saving lol...I'm using Arcam A32 amp (with the Cryus 8vrs2 amp i'm sure the player would gain even more detail)and ATC SCM11 spks.

T

the record spot

Looks like this new Cyrus range has upped the ante across the board by all accounts; I wonder if we'll see them maintaining the price point for these units? If the (e.g.) 6SE works well with higher priced amps and speakers, is there any likelihood we could see an upwards shift to appeal to the higher end market?

A

Anonymous

stewartc:I read your reviews of the CD6SE and CDXTSE with interest.

I have a CD8X and am considering a factory upgrade to the CD8SE. Have you heard this model and if so, how does it compare ?

I've compared the CD8X and CD8SE back to back. The album was Chasing Shadows by John Etheridge.

To my ears the difference is significant. The violin sounded far more natural on the 8SE, it was the greater resolution that did it. The 8X still soundes great but compared to the SE it's as if the waveform was less accurate and more digitised.

Another difference I could hear was in terms of dynamics. On the 8X the violin seemed to be either ON or OFF in the mix, whereas on the 8SE the increase in sound was more accurately and naturally relayed.

Thirdly when played on the 8X the instrments shrank in depth forward to back, and the whole thing was more 2 dimensional.

There was that hidden 'musicality' factor which is hard to pinpoint but covers timing and dynamics which was more present on the 8SE.

Good news for upgraders if that tonaly the SE is v. similar to the X - same treble brightness etc.

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts