Have FLAC library, but need to support iPod devices

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I am in the process of ripping my CD collection to FLAC, stored on a Synology NAS. This is the source for two Squeezebox Touch clients in the house. Am really happy with all that.

However my wife now wants to get into using her iPod a little more and wants access to the new digital music library to choose her tracks from.

I'm not sure how to do this. Using dbPowerAmp Batch Converter I expect I can convert all the FLAC files to low-res MP3 in another directory on the NAS. I know the Synology supports iTunes in some way but not totally clear about that yet.

So I'm wondering what other people are doing in a similar situation where you have a hi-res library and needing to manage music on portable devices also.

Thanks in advance!

Midrangesnareslam

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the Squeezebox Touch supports Apple lossless (ALAC) so if you can be bothered, you could re-rip your music in that format. Any Apple devices, such as your wife's iPod, could play the files also.

Thinking on, depending on what sort of iPod it is, you could use the Synology DS Audio app to stream FLAC files.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Get your wife a FLAC compatible device - its probably cheaper in terms of time & effort. An Android can play flac, or any other Apple device (other than Ipod) can be made to play them also.

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
Get your wife a FLAC compatible device - its probably cheaper in terms of time & effort. An Android can play flac, or any other Apple device (other than Ipod) can be made to play them also.

Android may play flac, but can it make an omelette?

120224_iphone_gas_stove.jpg

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
misinformation alert. Much as I love Android and hate the walled garden, it does not natively support FLAC. But yes, it does with a free download.

Personally, I use dbPoweramp to rip FLAC AND mp3 at the same time. Just do a batch convert to 190 VBR amd install the multi codec plugin for future rips.

Ideally though, don't buy iPods if you aren't an iPerson™ . I made the same mistake with a past birthday present, and then tried the old drag and drop...erm, nope, that aint happening...

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the various pieces of advice, some more appropriate than others, but I appreciate the spirit!

Anyway, what I've done, used dBpoweramp to batch convert the FLAC files to MP3 to another directory on the NAS.

Then repointed the iTunes Media folder location on my wifes laptop to the MP3 NAS location, voila all the tracks are available!

Set up an new Playlist on iTunes called 'Wifes iPod', configured the iPod to only sync to that playlist. She can now drag any song she wants from the library to her playlist, which will then sync and download to her iPod.

So far everyone is happy!

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
daveg56 said:
I am in the process of ripping my CD collection to FLAC, stored on a Synology NAS. This is the source for two Squeezebox Touch clients in the house. Am really happy with all that.

However my wife now wants to get into using her iPod a little more and wants access to the new digital music library to choose her tracks from.

I'm not sure how to do this. Using dbPowerAmp Batch Converter I expect I can convert all the FLAC files to low-res MP3 in another directory on the NAS. I know the Synology supports iTunes in some way but not totally clear about that yet.

So I'm wondering what other people are doing in a similar situation where you have a hi-res library and needing to manage music on portable devices also.

Thanks in advance!

Why not use the DS212j to transcode FLAC to MP3 on the fly?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts