Have a Node 2i and a Firestick 4K and I can't tell the difference. Help!

Bsmooth

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
This will be a bit long, but I think it will keep your interest.
1st what I have:
Bedroom- Firestick 4K into an audio extractor(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HHSJVN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details) and then into a powered pair of Audioengine 5+ speakers. I also run it thru a small TV thru HDMI so I can see the Amazon music app.
Livingroom- Yamaha RX-V757 AV receiver using Node 2i thru single coax then into Paradigm Atoms and Dayton subwoofer.
Here's my quandary, both systems to me at least sound very similar, of course the Yamaha with the sub has more low end, but to meat least the powered Audioengine 5+ speakers have much better clarity, and in general a better soundstage. The highs are sparkling and to e the Paradigm's sound rather dull.
So I did a small experiment, which is only possible because the Firestick is so portable. I took it down and tried it in my living room setup. But heres whats strange after hookup the same tracks which sounded so good in the bedroom, now sounded dull again.
Could my living room setup just be worn out? I cleaned all the RCA jacks on the receiver with alcohol.Could the speaker wire affect the sound that much ?
Right now I'm asking myself why spend all that money on a Node 2i when a Firestick 4K sounds just as good? Or why not get a second Firestick. Or why not try replacing all my speaker wire and see what sound changes happen.
I could use some sound advice thats for sure.

Bsmooth

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
What I'm wondering is I live near the ocean, and the salt air degrades everything. Ages ago it ruined my Yamaha CR-1020 receiver(talk about a classic)https://classicreceivers.com/yamaha-cr-1020, basically all the switches and rotary controls stopped working. Took it to see what was wrong and the tech showed me a rotary switch and selector switch, both covered in green on the contacts. He said since I was close to the water the salt air did it. Its even ruined light switches in my house with the same issue.
As I said I cleaned the RCA jacks but haven't touched the speaker wires or connectors in probably 15 years. Maybe its time to take a look. Is there anything good to really clean the speaker contacts ?

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think you will need to substantially upgrade your amplifier and speakers to hear anything close to what the node 2i can give you. The rest of your kit, I'm afraid is probably the limiting factor in your case. Looking at your amplifier and speakers, they are entry level and geared more towards a multichannel home cinema system. The bluesound will perform and I'm pretty certain out-perform your firestick in a decent mid-range stereo system, you wouldn't expect to put a chord dave in your current test conditions and be blown away by the sound, the rest of your kit just isn't up to what a chord dave is, The same idea stands for the node 2i.

Bsmooth

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
I'm not so sure anymore of this. I took the node upstairs and did a comparison of the Firestick and Node using my powered Audioengine 5+ speakers. Soundstage was better with the Node, but I did hear at least to me slightly better highs with the Firestick. But I'm talking very subtle differences.
The differences between the Node with my AV receiver and Firestick and powered speakers are major, not subtle by any means.
I'm going to clean the speakers and connections and see what happens.
BTW my AV receiver was a bit more than just entry level when I bought it back in 2006
"Today, I went out and bought an RX-V757, replacing the RX-V540. The first thing I have to say is - "What a freakin AWESOME amp". Sometimes you buy a new model of anything and expect great mountains of difference to show up but infact you notice only a tiny bit, if anything. That isn't so with with the RX-V757. It immediately bit me on the butt and anounced that "I am HERE",, and bigtime too. One very big reason I decided to buy it was because I saw it in the What HiFi Sound and Vision 2005 Awards issue a few weeks back, in one of the 'Best Product' categories. Ever since this, the fuse was lit... "
Would a Denon AV receiver be any sort of upgrade to the AV I have now as far as sound ? I've heard that Marantz and Denon are pretty close, but both have fairly good amps from what I've read.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts