Has OLED a future?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

I wish they were though. Do Qleds give a good hdr picture?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Series1boy said:
Native_bon said:
Series1boy said:
Native_bon said:
Tonestar1 said:
gel said:
I am now thinking about getting a Qled in the future, I am done with all this black level crap! I want a bright screen.

That's madness. OLED is the best tech on the market currently. QLED is a backward step from OLED and you will only be disappointed with the obvious shortcomings of the tech,
Nope, checkout latest review from Av forums and home cinema choice. In both reviews the Q9 from Samsung have been given reference status. How things turn around quickly.

only reference status for a lcd TV, and would suggest they will soon do the same for OLED and will mean reference status for each tech... my view BTW!
Home cinema Choice says reference status period!!! *dirol*

i was agreeing with you to a point and yes homecinema and av forums have both given it reference status, but if you read the review on AV and look at the discussions it is aiming this reference status for lcd..
*good*

here ya go ;)

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-oled65c8pla-review.14523

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
If the latest Oled screens are band free like my XE93 then I may consider one in a few years when upgrading. Still the problem of Image retention though and brightness limitations. Will be watching onwer's thread on the C8 *biggrin*

Native_bon said:
If the latest Oled screens are band free like my XE93 then I may consider one in a few years when upgrading. Still the problem of Image retention though and brightness limitations. Will be watching onwer's thread on the C8 *biggrin*
Yes, I read about the image retention and screenburn issues on plasmas. I'm yet to see one in my 9 years of ownership (Kuro for 5 years and Panasonic VT65 for almost 5 yesrs and still running strong!).

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
If the latest Oled screens are band free like my XE93 then I may consider one in a few years when upgrading. Still the problem of Image retention though and brightness limitations. Will be watching onwer's thread on the C8 *biggrin*
Yes, I read about the image retention and screenburn issues on plasmas. I'm yet to see one in my 9 years of ownership (Kuro for 5 years and Panasonic VT65 for almost 5 yesrs and still running strong!).
*good*

jjbomber

bigboss said:

I'm up to 15 years on my Panny Plasma without any problems. No screenburn at all.

buzz_lightclick

I got screen burn on my first Pioneer 500A from Sky Sports News banners - only faint but still annoying and despite trying all sorts of screen washer type programs it would not shift!

I do watch a lot of Sky News and Sports News so have to be careful due to all the onscreen graphics.

nuppard

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Bought an LG OLED65E6V Oct 2016 (£4500) after the many glowing reviews including What HiFi’s & being impressed by own viewings. But what most reviews at the time didn’t mention & what What HiFi is still failing to warn about is the risk of permanent image burn-in to OLED panels.

Several weeks ago first noticed after images on my TV which later proved to be the BBC News logo line that’s almost always present during its broadcast. This image does disappear into darker backgrounds but shows very clearly in lighter blocks of colour like red, green or yellow.

Neither of LG’s ‘solution’ to this problem have either prevented it or fixed it. The burn-in image issue is permanent & I’ve been advised the only solution is to replace the entire OLED panel at a cost of over £3000.

Even though the TV is only 20 months old, LG have refused to take responsibility because it’s beyond their 12 month warranty. Domestic & General who supplied a 4 year extension policy on the TV have also said that they do not provide cover for permanent screen burn.

I also need to state that I believe I’ve done nothing unusual to cause this burn-in issue other than watching the BBC News channel most days & probably at most for no more than a few hours each day. The TV is always switched off at night & is usually switched off during the day when not in use.

So has this permanent screen burn-in image been caused by me simply watching the same channel most days and is there an accumulative effect over time here?

Its simply not good enough for professional review sights like What HiFi to ignore or gloss over this issue when the consequences can be hugely expensive to consumers who will be left stranded by this problem.

And if you think I’m exaggerating, just look at the advice on the What HiFi site for OLED in general or on OLED v QLED - no direct warning of burn-in risks only a vague tangential warning about the earlier wear of blue leds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts