Has OLED a future?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Samsung 55q7f down to £1099.

Insane vfm. Just got my second JL price match cash back.

Very happy :)

LG C8 looked good but £3k ... ! Sony's looked shxx as usual except A1.

Imho of course.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Colours look washed out at high brightness, stand is ugly and Android interface is horrible. Blooming very visible. Way to expensive too.

I am sure there must be some good news :)

Yes, I saw Vinnies review.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
Demoed some of the Samsung’s TVs today and the new LG Oled again and Oled is clearly best at the moment, so it must have a future. I haven’t got screen burn or image retention on any of my Oleds so far. Had it on plasma and LCD. And seen it on Sony TVs LEDs where there was a screen uniformity issue resulting in a black line down the screen. Never seen any issues with Oleds in store at shops either which must be the litmus test.

what did you make of the C8?

Perosnally I wasn’t too keen on the design of the stand and speaker.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Buzz,

It’s like what WHF said in their review that very little has changed again. I think for the time being LG Oleds have virtually peaked until they find something new to add. Tried the Sony Oled which is an LG 2016 panel and it was way too dark. Might well try Panasonic next at a cheaper price and see what I now make of that - but will be waiting for the reviews first and then probably Black Friday. The stand was okay but pretty big but it’s the same stand and size for the 55-inch and 65-inch which is good. A bigger stand on the 65-inch would look stupid in my view. Haven’t tried the sound. It’s expensive again though until they reduce the prices.

I think with Oled it’s all about what you are looking for in a TV - LG seem to be the most advanced but Sony and Panasonic have good processing in them and that can make the blacks even better.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
One very obvious thing was the almost complete absence of colour banding on the C8 compared to the predecessor. It's, from what I have seen, now the equal of Sony's flagship processor, at least with regards to this issue.

It looked lovely but so it should for the price. It didn't seem any brighter but in a shop setting it was difficult to accurately determine. I think LG claim a slight brightness/contrast increase.

At this price anyone should take Samsung's new Q9 flagship FALD set into consideration too. Then there are LG's outgoing BC 7 models at £1200 less and finally the Q7fn which at it's current £1100 is a bargain. I was mulling over whether to change it to LG's 7 series OLED but would miss the things it does.

I think the C7 has to dramatically reduce first which of course it will.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
Demoed some of the Samsung’s TVs today and the new LG Oled again and Oled is clearly best at the moment, so it must have a future. I haven’t got screen burn or image retention on any of my Oleds so far. Had it on plasma and LCD. And seen it on Sony TVs LEDs where there was a screen uniformity issue resulting in a black line down the screen. Never seen any issues with Oleds in store at shops either which must be the litmus test.

what did you make of the C8?

Perosnally I wasn’t too keen on the design of the stand and speaker.
The C8 did have more detail in black levels than previous generations.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am now thinking about getting a Qled in the future, I am done with all this black level crap! I want a bright screen.
regular_smile.png

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
I am now thinking about getting a Qled in the future, I am done with all this black level crap! I want a bright screen.

Gel, What is dark or not bright with the OLED, I don't think my E7 is dark at all. I use Expert Dark (tweaked) when watching a film, use the Technicolor during the day for general viewing (sky).

D

Deleted member 2457

drummerman said:
I think currently OLED is still the technology if blacks are a priority.

However, I also think it will go the way of the dodo.

The inherent limitations ie organic substance, burn in, substantially higher power consumption, limited ultimate brightness and gradual panel deterioration seem very familiar. We've been there before with Plasma.

Once another way is found (such as micro led) I just have a feeling OLED will quickly disappear, more so as only one manufacturer is actually making the panels. The others have made little investment into the technology other than the driving hard/software.

Plenty of life life left in LED on the other hand.
I don’t think my Oled has Technicolor on it with the E6, I think that was something introduced on the E7. Have you seen issues on Kick Ass?

Tonestar1

gel said:

That's madness. OLED is the best tech on the market currently. QLED is a backward step from OLED and you will only be disappointed with the obvious shortcomings of the tech,

buzz_lightclick

Tonestar1 said:
gel said:

That's madness. OLED is the best tech on the market currently. QLED is a backward step from OLED and you will only be disappointed with the obvious shortcomings of the tech,

if he watches TV mainly in the daytime in a bright room, then QLED will be the better option for him. He wouldn’t notice the better blacks and shadow detail of the OLEDs in this case.

D

Deleted member 2457

Agreed, I definitely want a Oled just about getting it right, I am now just watching 4K and not HDR and it’s much better!

D

Deleted member 2457

The guy from John Lewis is coming out today, so hopefully all will be sorted.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
gel said:
I am now thinking about getting a Qled in the future, I am done with all this black level crap!  I want a bright screen.  

Nope, checkout latest review from Av forums and home cinema choice. In both reviews the Q9 from Samsung have been given reference status. How things turn around quickly.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Tonestar1 said:
gel said:

Nope, checkout latest review from Av forums and home cinema choice. In both reviews the Q9 from Samsung have been given reference status. How things turn around quickly.

only reference status for a lcd TV, and would suggest they will soon do the same for OLED and will mean reference status for each tech... my view BTW!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Native_bon said:
Tonestar1 said:
gel said:

only reference status for a lcd TV, and would suggest they will soon do the same for OLED and will mean reference status for each tech... my view BTW!
Home cinema Choice says reference status period!!! *dirol*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Series1boy said:
Native_bon said:
Tonestar1 said:
gel said:

i was agreeing with you to a point and yes homecinema and av forums have both given it reference status, but if you read the review on AV and look at the discussions it is aiming this reference status for lcd..

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Native_bon said:
Series1boy said:
Native_bon said:
Tonestar1 said:
gel said:

i was agreeing with you to a point and yes homecinema and av forums have both given it reference status, but if you read the review on AV and look at the discussions it is aiming this reference status for lcd..
*good*

D

Deleted member 2457

Check out this clash of the Titans:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/05/09/lg-oled-e8-vs-samsung-q9fn-clash-of-the-tv-titans/2/#33404979d4c1

What do you think now Qled or Oled?

D

Deleted member 2457

I have checked out the Samsung - it looks nice! Don’t quite know how it would go with my collection of Blu-rays and content though. I would like to find out though.

D

Deleted member 2457

New Samsung Qled not so perfect:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1525936564

Black issue. Watch Video clip. Oh dear!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts