Has Marantz Sound Changed?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Hope someone who has bought or has heard recently Marantz AV amps may be able to help with some views please.

So in the past I had a mid-range Marantz amp for a while (it was around 2008 and it was an SR6001 I believe). I really liked the sound in a lot of ways but the bass was never quite right - I couldn't get it to be sharp and have real impact - it was more bloated. The amp broke after a while and I got what would be considered a more budget Denon 1911 as a stopgap but the bass was great - it just seemed tighter and more textured and you can feel it ripple or thud - and the rest of the sound was on a par plus perhaps a little more detailed at the top end in some ways (maybe on occasion I missed little bit of richness but ...).

So, 7 years on, it was playing up and while it's OK at the moment it got me thinking if I should be moving on and looking at Atmos. Having tried lots of amps in the past I'm sticking to Denon or Marantz as I prefer the sound - it's something about the solidity. The thing is I'm struggling to demo, especially with Tannoy speakers (I have an Arena package).

I've got my eye on a Marantz model that does everything I need, but the Denon with the same features (and a couple more I don't really need) is a fair bit more epxensive and not sure the expense is warranted. However, I'm worried about ending up back in the same position with bass I had with the previous Marantz amp.

So has anyone got any views on the Marantz sound - has it become tighter in the bass at all in recent times? The amps are getting good reviews including for films and bass impact but I'm not sure ...

Any view would be much appreciated.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
so in theory their sound should be similar, sorry I can't help with the Marantz sound but I used to own a Denon amp and I was very happy with its sound.

*music2*

TRENDING THREADS