Has anyone else had Xmas lurgy?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't listened to anything for nigh on 3 weeks now due to some lurgy that has decided to put my ears in a permanent vacuum. They have started to pop the last couple of days but soon disappear back into the void, completely frustrating and annoying. Damn. :)

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I feel your pain....

I’ve been ill since Boxing Day and my left ear feels like it is full of water leaving me semi-deaf.....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Just about on the mend with it, loads gone down with it in my office over the past few weeks, plus my brother and sister, one of my twins, but strangely not Mrs Fubar.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
McRibbons said:
I feel your pain....

I’ve been ill since Boxing Day and my left ear feels like it is full of water leaving me semi-deaf.....

I get that as well, usually every time I get a cold for the past ten years. It's caused by a blocked eustachian tube. And when others have reported the same, it's also nearly always their left ear not their right, for some reason.

Gray

McRibbons said:
I feel your pain....

Flu hit me Boxing Day and it's my left ear too that's still blocked - really is like listening with a tweeter disconnected.

Been out today and bought some Sodium Bicarbonate eardrops, which I used prior to my biggest ever 'upgrade' of an ear syringe some years ago.

You could use olive oil, but you'll find (5%) Sodium Bicarbonate 10mL for around £2-£4, might be worth a go.

D

Deleted member 2457

Had it about at the beginning of December, it was a sickness bug and chest infection. Lost half a stone though which is good and haven’t put it back on.

Gray

Gazzip said:
Yep, flu got me on Christmas Eve and it wiped me out completely until the 29th. I'm still not fully over it. Terrible cough...

At night, when you can't breathe without coughing, drives you mad.

Latest research is said to prove that the effect of flu is worse for males. Certainly been long-lasting this time.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
Gazzip said:
Yep, flu got me on Christmas Eve and it wiped me out completely until the 29th. I'm still not fully over it. Terrible cough...

At night, when you can't breathe without coughing, drives you mad.

Latest research is said to prove that the effect of flu is worse for males. Certainly been long-lasting this time.

We didn't need research to tell us that... *biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gray said:
Been out today and bought some Sodium Bicarbonate eardrops, which I used prior to my biggest ever 'upgrade' of an ear syringe some years ago.

You could use olive oil, but you'll find (5%) Sodium Bicarbonate 10mL for around £2-£4, might be worth a go.
Unfortunately that really won't work, though it shouldn't do any harm either. The fluid build up is behind your ear drum in your middle ear, caused by the eustachian tube being blocked which leads from your middle ear and vents to the back of your throat. Nasal sprays can help. It should clear in its own time (two weeks is common for me). If it doesn't, best to see a doctor.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yep, came down with big Xmas Eve. Prob lowered immune system after works night out a couple of days earlier, and almost everyone at work getting something. Luckily wasn't too bad. Just headaches and nausea, bit snotty at start. Had to go to work with it too over Xmas. Was fatigued too. 90% better now. Wooley head feeling and yes, ears a little congested, but not blocked. Seems to have been a big one this year all over the UK.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
in the 80's when red and asian were doing the rounds together. That was not a good time and I can honestly appreciate why it kills people. This time it was the dreaded cough with extremely sore throat version..and no ears! Man-flu is real as testosterone weakens a males' immune system. At least I'm not alone, not that that gives me any pleasure whatsoever. The only plus is I've got so much beer wine and spirits to get through I might end up with something worse..cheers everyone!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have no sense of taste or smell due to operations on my nose to manage a long-term issue with nasal polyps.

On the bright side whlst everyone else at home and in work is affected, I rarely pick up any type of cold or flu.

Lucky me *unknw*

insider9

MajorFubar said:
McRibbons said:
I feel your pain....

I get that as well, usually every time I get a cold for the past ten years. It's caused by a blocked eustachian tube. And when others have reported the same, it's also nearly always their left ear not their right, for some reason.
I've been struggling with my right ear for a while now. Luckily nasal drops I have are working. Been told by 3 doctors it may be allergy but not buying it. It all started after I had my nose broken the last time.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’ve got this condition called hyper audio-philia at the moment, hyper meaning high. it makes me view hi Fi as being better when it gets more expensive. There is also an alternate form of the condition called hypo audio-philia, hypo meaning low. We can geuss what that is.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've been struggling with my right ear for a while now. Luckily nasal drops I have are working. Been told by 3 doctors it may be allergy but not buying it. It all started after I had my nose broken the last time.

Almost certainly linked. The nasal drops must be helping to keep the passageways flushed.

Most GP's are clueless about Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). When I first visted my GP in 2005 with what I now know (from my own research) is ETD, he peered down my ears with an otoscope, shrugged his head and said perhaps you're just going deaf, you're not as young as you once were. I was 35!

I don't even try to start fixing the problem until my cold is fully gone and my head feels otherwise clear. Then a mixture of using a nasal spray + pinching my nose while swallowing water several times a day helps to flush the blockage out within a couple of weeks.

insider9

I didn't know the term EDT. Thank you Major. What I've noticed is when blockage occurs it triggers my tinnitus which normally doesn't bother me that much. Luckily the problem isn't so much hearing but it's the strange pressure in my head and it's so annoying. And you're quite right any cold seems a much bigger issue than ever before.

D

Deleted member 108165

QuestForThe13thNote said:
I’ve got this condition called hyper audio-philia at the moment, hyper meaning high. it makes me view hi Fi as being better when it gets more expensive. There is also an alternate form of the condition called hypo audio-philia, hypo meaning low. We can geuss what that is.

I've definitely got hypo-audiophilia... it's not so bad as ignorance can sometimes be a virtue and save you a bucket load of wonga to boot.

Gray

MajorFubar said:
Gray said:

Unfortunately that really won't work, though it shouldn't do any harm either. The fluid build up is behind your ear drum in your middle ear, caused by the eustachian tube being blocked which leads from your middle ear and vents to the back of your throat. Nasal sprays can help. It should clear in its own time (two weeks is common for me). If it doesn't, best to see a doctor.

I reckon you could be right, but I'm hoping for the miraculous, 'just syringed' effect. How miraculous? 'Break my Stride' by Matthew Wilder, was a fantastically detailed, pleasure to listen to on Radio 2.

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Gray said:
McRibbons said:
I feel your pain....

Im

Flu hit me Boxing Day and it's my left ear too that's still blocked - really is like listening with a tweeter disconnected.

I’m gonna try the bicarbonate later.... of all things I’ve found Jack Daniels takes my mind off it temporarily :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It got me quite suddenly on Christmas Eve and floored me for seven days.

I could not eat anything at all for 4 days, the cough was horrendous combined with a chest infection, high temperature and diarrhoea.

I also suffered mild halucinations, nightmares and a strange sensation of my head being being full of totally pointless and really frustrating thoughts, I would guess a high temperature was the cause of this.

I still feel a bit drained now and the only food I can really enjoy is porridge oats !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts