Harsh, Bright, sibilance!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks drummerman. The hi-fi reviews on my kit did push me in their direction but I did listen to all the componants before i bought them, however not all together! This is likely the problem and they are not 'well matched!' Well not as good as they could be. I liked the idea of changing my cd player as its the oldest part of my system, but still not that old! I have read that Arcam kit produces a smoother sound, so if changing cables etc dosn't solve my problem I might look at that option first.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="benwar101"]I liked the idea of changing my cd player as its the oldest part of my system[/quote]

I would be very surprised if that would solve your problem. To get substantially better CD replay you have to spend more than an entry level Arcam, assuming that is what you were looking at. Whilst every component in your system is important, with far eastern manufacturing you have very advanced electronics in even budget players such as yours these days. The difference in (sound) quality between this and the next range can be rather small as opposed to say turntables. The level of mechanical engineering involved there dictates a clear increase in cost and usually, though not always, better sound in the process.

The reason for the listener fatigue you experience lies, mismatching of components apart, with your speakers. Budget Kef's are not refined nor do they in my opinion excell in any other way but I won't go further than that.

And again ... Cable changes are a means of fine tuning a balanced system not a cure for a badly matched one.

Perhaps the editors can suggest something different to help you loosing money in the process.

I also can't believe I've written such a nice reply.

A

Anonymous

Maybe borrowing some speakers to try from a friendly dealer? There are some that will do that.

John Duncan

Make note all you good people, for it is a historical day - I am in agreement with both drummerman and Keith.

I had a thibilanthe problem and went down the 'source first' route, auditioning CD players even up to a £2k Linn player in my existing system (at the time a very old Arcam and Tannoy Revolution R2s) but the first time I realised I was on the wrong track was when they put £3k Artikulates and £8k B&Ws on the end of a modest CD player and amp. Kerching.

Try to find a good dealer who will lend you a pair of really good speakers (think £1k+), then see if you still have a problem - I'm not saying you could afford the £1k speakers, but they might give you an idea of where the real problem lies.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]the first time I realised I was on the wrong track was when they put £3k Artikulates and £8k B&Ws on the end of a modest CD player and amp. Kerching[/quote]

Dont push your luck just because I feel kind minded today MrDuncan.

So you needed thousands worth of speakers to recognize the track you were listening to ... words fail me

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]
[

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]the first time I realised I was on the wrong track was when they put £3k Artikulates and £8k B&Ws on the end of a modest CD player and amp. Kerching[/quote]

Dont push your luck just because I feel kind minded today MrDuncan.

So you needed thousands worth of speakers to recognize the track you were listening to ... words fail me
[/quote]

ha ha bonk.

Maybe I need CDText......

A

Anonymous

My mummy lithpth, my daddy lithpth, my brother lithpth and my thithter lithpth

and they all thay that I lithp.

Now you hear me call puthy

Puthy! puthy! Come and have thome thop

There, I don't lithp, do I?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you taken all this on board benwar101?

If you still have any question go right ahead and ask
emotion-2.gif

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris, I have same cd and speakers but have Arcam a65+ amp.I thought my system was a touch bright but it improved when the speakers had been running for 60hrs+

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote]

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Make note all you good people, for it is a historical day - I am in agreement with both drummerman and Keith.

[/quote]

Ahh, guys, I'm so feeling the love... Brings a tear to my eye. Valentine's day must be just around the corner...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote] [quote user="JohnDuncan"]Make note all you good people, for it is a historical day - I am in agreement with both drummerman and Keith.

[/quote] Ahh, guys, I'm so feeling the love... Brings a tear to my eye. Valentine's day must be just around the corner...[/quote]

... and spring is in the air my little rabbit
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

(sight of fluffy tail scurrying rapidly over the horizon)

A

Anonymous

Hello again gents! Just logged on and was reading your posts! Thanks for all the suggestions and the funny banter that made me laugh! I left my system running all last night and all day today and just cranked it up there just now and noticed a slight difference! Those Kefs defo need a good run in! I left an isotek burn in cd on repeat sice Last nite and its helped! If it keeps improving, great!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"] would not have thought that qed silver anniversary cable would help.Overrated
in my opinion with a lack of weight and will emphasise a bright and edgy sound. [/quote]

WOW you took the words out of my mind!

Edgyness normally come from lacking driving ability of Amplify, I wouldn't say edgy and bright are the same thing though.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I had a Cambridge 640 and found it bright and, well, just not very good even after running in for a while. i decided I'd have to put my hand in my pocket to get what I wanted and went for the Naim Nait 5i and CD5i.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]My mummy lithpth, my daddy lithpth, my brother lithpth and my thithter lithpth

and they all thay that I lithp.
Now you hear me call puthy
Puthy! puthy! Come and have thome thop
There, I don't lithp, do I?
[/quote]

that's about as funny as a heart attack. to be expected i suppose from the king of cobblers

A

Anonymous

Hello again gents!

I have tried my NAD cd player with my system and it helped things a bit but it still is very bright!

Looks like I may have made a mistake with the Kef's. Its strange though because when I listened to them in the shop the sounded fantastic. Think it was with Rega equipment! Would the Kefs's work well with Rega?

I now need to re-think things and could do with some suggestions.

Option 1, change my speakers. What would everyone recomend with my current system? I have about £400 to spend max!

Option 2, Chenge my amp, and or cd player to match the Kef's. Again I have approx £400 to spend.

All help much appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="benwar101"]Also! Would purchasing a power amp do anything for me?[/quote]

I think you should read through this thread again. Beginning to end. You find the answers in there.

Its becoming rather boring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts