Harmony remotes

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a universal remote and the obvious candidate seems to be the Harmony One.I don't really understand the difference between the One and the 900 model - the 900 is more expensive but seems to be less fuly featured.I understand that I need to be able to do macros, which the 900 doesn't do. I emailed Harmony asking about it and I got a quick response back saying that it doesn't do macros, only sequences. Could someone explain what the difference it? Currently I just have a TV, PS3, Topfield PVR and DVD player, but I hope to get an Onkyo AV recvr in the next few months. Are there really any other contenders? Many thanks

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sequences ARE macros. its a great remote. Yes there are improvements that could be made (lots on forums) but it works really well. A tad sexy and saves soooo much clutter. £100 is a steal.

Tony Wood

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I own a One and I'm really happy with it.

However, I believe the 900 is an RF (radio) remote, where the One is IR. So the 900 sends a radio signal to a small receiver that then converts that to IR, which could be useful for some set-ups. The benefits of the radio remote, from Logitech's website, are:

RF wireless capability
With the included RF system, you can control devices even when you can't see them*-so you can keep your entertainment system behind cabinet doors. Expand the capabilities of your Harmony 900 with additional RF systems.

A

Anonymous

Another highly delighted One owner here
emotion-2.gif
Apart from the additional RF capability, it looks like the 900 also has dedicated Red, Green, Blue, Yellow buttons. The One has these buttons on the Touchscreen, which is ok but admittedly dedicated buttons are an improvement. I guess the question is: 'Is the additional cost of the 900 sufficient justification for the additional RF functionality and dedicated RGBY buttons?'

Nick

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I looked at the 900 to power on my RF remote plugs but I don't think they do this. I think it is useful if your kit is inside a unit with no direct line of sight. In practice however I am more than happy to switch one or two remotes to turn on all my kit and then the H1 takes over - all HiFi kit, bedroom kit, lighting etc. Works great. As mentioned before though - make sure you enter the EXACT model numbers of your kit. Logitech are brilliant for support - helping to set up my light dimming and creating a clone account for backup/experimentation. I paid a lot £120 but am so pleased with the convenience.

Cheers

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
RobinKidderminster:Sequences ARE macros

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I assumed but when I saw someone post (no idea where now!) that the remote needed to support macros, I thought I'd ask Logitech about them.

When I asked them, they said: "Unfortunately, the harmony 900 remotes cannot do macros as they can only do sequences. Sequences can be created within 5 command steps that you want the harmony remote 900 to do and then mapped to a specific button".

I think I'll go back to them and ask them to describe the differences between macros and sequences.

Rgds

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everyones reply. It's interesting that on most forums (albeit support forums) most people are complaining about the product, but here, everyone is very ebullient. I guess that makes the decision making process a lot simpler! :)

I'll have another look at the differences between the One and the 900. TBH, I keep my products for a long time (I've just replaced a TV I got in 1996) so a little extra over that number of years works out ok for me. If I was replacing it on an annual basis, it may be harder to justify.

I'm not sure the extra coloured buttons would make life much easier for me, tho if they could be mapped to other things, that'd be very nice indeed.

Thanks a lot all - I appreciate your information.

rgds

A

Anonymous

If you are an Apple Ipod/Iphone or Ipad user also consider the Gear4 Unity Remote which has been getting rave reviews for £99.

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
andytucker:If you are an Apple Ipod/Iphone or Ipad user also consider the Gear4 Unity Remote which has been getting rave reviews for £99.

Cool, will do - thanks! I think I've looked at those in the past, but can't remember now. I'll get some (homemade - not by me) flapjack and a cup of tea, and peruse!

thanks

A

Anonymous

I had a gear 4 unity and had some problems with it dropping the signal, although Andrew from WHF had no problems, I took mine back in the end. I got a redeye from flebay for £82 and its excellent. A week later and I'm still adding buttons and actions etc, but it's growing with me and you can use it as an iPod charger. I actually only use it with my iPad though.

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
When I looked at them I remembered having read about them (on the What HiFi site no less). It think they look great but if I put the app on my iPhone, my wife (or anyone else) would be scuppered if I'd left the house. my Wife has an iPod touch, but the first/second generation, which isn't supported by the Gear4 product. That would make it a more expensive option. Would give purpose to an iPad tho, should we ever purchase one. :) rgds

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Actually, on eBay it's possible to pick up the odd bargain on a 900, making it comparable cost to the One. It's actually amazing how much you use those dedicated colour buttons with Sky ( planner etc) on a daily basis and also with my blu ray player (due to hardware mods). Although life would still be possible with a harmony one, I don't think I would willingly give up my dediated colour buttons!!

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I saved some cash and bought a Harmony 525 (about £30), it has the dedicated RGBY buttons and I can control everything except my PS3 (as it is bluetooth) from it, really pleased.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Here's something that some might regard as heresy - I tried both the Harmony One and 525 but didn't find either particularly good (especially bearing in mind the price of the 'One'). In the end, I went for an One For All URC7960 - £17 from Amazon. Having now used it for a month, I think I have now tweaked it to do everything I need it to do. In summary, cheap and effective with good email technical support chucked in (ie. if some codes cannot be found). The only potential issue on the horizon is that it 'only' supports up to 6 bits of kit but if I have to rethink in the future, it's not much money to write off.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Good remote no doubt but a different animal reflected by its cost. One button can turn on several devices, change their inputs and other settings etc AND can be used by those over the age of 6.

A

Anonymous

I am not liking my Harmony one.

I had a 515 and like that better, I find it keeps missing buttons, when I press change channel it doesnt, and I have to press and point the remote right at the sky box ,and I did not have to do that with my 515.

Do any of the Harmony remotes have the Z-Wave chip.?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Tiz a funny 'un Canada. I have seen a few comments about the H1 range yet mine is great. I throw it onto the settee, pointing in the vague direction of my kit and it just goes on switching things on and off and setting errrm well, settings. I wonder if their is a quality issue here ? (No accusations implied). I suggest measuring the in-sight range at different angles and then compare with the standard remotes. Is light falling onto the sensors? Then contact Logitech support maybe.

I have no interest in this since mine works really well but hopefully this discussion may help a few unlucky ones?

Cheers

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my new Harmony One for a few days now and it is fantastic !!!!!

The five remotes that i used previously were driving me nuts, especially when the kids dropped one or two under a sofa or a cushion.

Also to turn everything on together is a great , the wife being able to use it is great, not needing to buy batteries is great, and i do not need to programme macros manually like i had to on an old Phillips Pronto that i had.

All told i am over the moon , well worth the £85 i paid for it new on flea bay.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps I'm being thick but I'm not sure what you mean by the 'age of 6' comment nor whether it was meant to offend. Back to the One for All, it does turn on a number of devices in one go (ie. Watch TV, Listen to Music etc.) and is very 'customisable'. It might all be down to personal preference but, as I said, I have owned both the Harmony One and 525 and can't see any massive advantages in either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts