Harbeth HL MK monitors

F575M

Sep 11, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I have been looking for a pair of Harbeth HL MK monitors but to no avail, they are hard to find vintage speakers.

I recently found a pair of newer HL compacts, they are neither P3 or C7, and I cannot find much info about these speakers.

Does any anyone have more information about these monitors?

Cheers,

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I have been looking for a pair of Harbeth HL MK monitors but to no avail, they are hard to find vintage speakers.

I recently found a pair of newer HL compacts, they are neither P3 or C7, and I cannot find much info about these speakers.

Does any anyone have more information about these monitors?
Why do you need this model? From my point of view, this is overpriced, you don't get what you pay for. These are regular small bookshelf 2-way speakers, $1500 for a used pair is too expensive

F575M

Sep 11, 2023
Visit site
Perhaps answering the OPs question might be better than asking him about his choice in equipment

Perhaps answering the OPs question might be better than asking him about his choice in equipment

Why do you need this model? From my point of view, this is overpriced, you don't get what you pay for. These are regular small bookshelf 2-way speakers, $1500 for a used pair is too expensive
I am fully aware that it is overpriced, Harbeths resell for a high price. I was looking for more info about that particular model.

F575M

Sep 11, 2023
Visit site
Understood. But you’re new here and I’m an old fart. And this forum is based around a British journal, though it now includes ann Australian edition.

You could maybe explain your interest in this particular Harbeth?
I doubt that you are as old as I am, I read my first issue of Hi-Fi News in 1962 when I was 18.

My first speakers were a pair Tannoy 15" Gold Monitors in Lancaster cabinets, then, in no particular order, I had QUAD 57, Mission 770, Spendor BC1, B&W DM4, Tannoy Devon, Armstrong, Celef PE1, ProAc and several loudspeaker kits from Wilmslow Audio and Falcon Acoustics, I even built a kit from Richard Allan. In 1981, when I heard that QUAD released the new ESL63s, I visited my dear friend Ian Purkiss, who was the manager of Chew & Osborne in Epping, and ordered a pair.

My wife had an office off Tottenham Court Rd and on several occasions I participated in the Saturday afternoon sessions at Thomas Heinitz shop, on Moscow Rd, where he played new record releases.

To answer your question, I have been having a hearing loss for a while and do better with large monitors that have a superb midrange, Harbeth, Epos ES14...?

Cheers,

F575M

Sep 11, 2023
Visit site
Oh, by the way, the rest of the system is, Garrard 401/Ortofon AS-212, Ortofon MC20SE and Meridian 551. A few months ago I sold my Devons so I have no speakers now.

Reactions: Al ears
Oh, by the way, the rest of the system is, Garrard 401/Ortofon AS-212, Ortofon MC20SE and Meridian 551. A few months ago I sold my Devons so I have no speakers now.
Well, it’s hard to know what will help when suffering from hearing loss. However, there seems to be two broad approaches I have seen:-
1. like you, wanting something smoother and possibly warmer, that doesn’t set off any nasties at HF, or worsen any tinnitus.
2. wanting something brighter and more present to compensate for what seems missing.

Both are quite understandable, but equally difficult to predict, as more than ever you are hearing differently to anyone else.

At a more affordable price than Al’s nice choices above, some have suggested the current Wharfedale Linton is something of a ‘poor man’s Harbeth’, probably due to proportions being a bit like the old 2 cu.ft. box, per your old BC1s. And the older Tannoys too, but presumably your Devons weren’t right for you, having sold them.

Amongst the under £1k suspects, then Q Acoustics with their 30xx range have a tweeter that isn’t at all scratchy or excitable. I’ve really enjoyed their stand-mount 3020i even alongside speakers costing ten times as much, or more. Their floorstanding 3050i is often on offer around £500 a pair.