Harbeth 40th Anniversary

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Harbeth celebrate 40 years of superb loud speaker manufacturing by releasing anniversary models:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/40th-anniversary/40th-anniversary.php

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Thanks for the heads up, Mac.

They are a fascinating brand. Eschewing a lot of fads and fashions yet achieving superb results from a disparate range. I still wonder if a pair of SHL5 might be my last ever pair of speakers, if I can find the money before my hearing goes!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:

They are a fascinating brand. Eschewing a lot of fads and fashions yet achieving superb results from a disparate range.  I still wonder if a pair of SHL5 might be my last ever pair of speakers, if I can find the money before my hearing goes! 

I was looking at ebay last night and there are plenty available at good price.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:

They are a fascinating brand. Eschewing a lot of fads and fashions yet achieving superb results from a disparate range. I still wonder if a pair of SHL5 might be my last ever pair of speakers, if I can find the money before my hearing goes!
I sincerely hope you get the chance... you obviously love your music and I believe Harbeth would suit your taste perfectly.

Mac

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
nopiano said:

They are a fascinating brand. Eschewing a lot of fads and fashions yet achieving superb results from a disparate range.  I still wonder if a pair of SHL5 might be my last ever pair of speakers, if I can find the money before my hearing goes! 
I sincerely hope you get the chance... you obviously love your music and I believe Harbeth would suit your taste perfectly.

Mac

Hi macspur

Last night I somehow started reading a very old thread about Atc 100asl lacking bass. Dont expect you to remember but you made a remark that you once had atc scm40 for a while but then changed for harbeth.

Would you mind telling me (purely out of interest) what atc did not do(or did do)
And how the sound of harbeth is different or did it for you.

What was it exactly?

The only model i would want is 40.2 or 40.1 as i want to drive a ferrari but can only afford fiat atm.

Thanks

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
nopiano said:

Mac

Hi macspur

Last night I somehow started reading a very old thread about Atc 100asl lacking bass. Dont expect you to remember but you made a remark that you once had atc scm40 for a while but then changed for harbeth.

Would you mind telling me (purely out of interest) what atc did not do(or did do) And how the sound of harbeth is different or did it for you.

What was it exactly?

The only model i would want is 40.2 or 40.1 as i want to drive a ferrari but can only afford fiat atm.

Thanks
I remember it well... what I will say firstly is that I had a different amp and source at the time and often wonder what the SCM40's would sound like with the Accuphase and EMC1UP, but I still doubt I would prefer them over Harbeth. I found them very genre depentent... for Electronic music, I've not heard anything else better, but with acoustic, which I listen to a lot of, I found them lifeless, dull and lacking scale, which was surprising being floor standers. Whereas with Harbeth SHL5+, you can throw anything at them, Rock, Electronica, classicle, or Acoustic and they all sound just right.

Mac

Macspur said:
nopiano said:

Mac

They are certainly a brand that has longevity and a good size following. For many it is their ultimate aim and once acquired become the last speaker you'll ever buy. Are there better? Of course there are, but for many these appear to be the end of the line.

I like the idea that, if they suit your listening room requirements, then don't change the initial ideas too much.

I would dearly like to listen to these new versions.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Macspur said:
nopiano said:

Mac

They are certainly a brand that has longevity and a good size following. For many it is their ultimate aim and once acquired become the last speaker you'll ever buy. Are there better? Of course there are, but for many these appear to be the end of the line.

I like the idea that, if they suit your listening room requirements, then don't change the initial ideas too much.

I would dearly like to listen to these new versions.

Plus one

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
nopiano said:

Mac

Hi macspur

Would you mind telling me (purely out of interest) what atc did not do(or did do) And how the sound of harbeth is different or did it for you.

What was it exactly?

Thanks
I remember it well... what I will say firstly is that I had a different amp and source at the time and often wonder what the SCM40's would sound like with the Accuphase and EMC1UP, but I still doubt I would prefer them over Harbeth. I found them very genre depentent... for Electronic music, I've not heard anything else better, but with acoustic, which I listen to a lot of, I found them lifeless, dull and lacking scale, which was surprising being floor standers. Whereas with Harbeth SHL5+, you can throw anything at them, Rock, Electronica, classicle, or Acoustic and they all sound just right.

Mac

Amp and room possibly but you may have a point.

I also find electronic music to really shine. Strange though that my best type music is more mellow norah jones, katie melua and some of the unplugged live stuff to sound really good and dynamic and ive only got the 11s...

Recently ive a lot of experience directly comparing 40s, 19s and 11s

So basically i need to have a listen to harbeth

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
nopiano said:

Mac

Hi macspur

What was it exactly?

Thanks

Mac

Amp and room possibly but you may have a point.

I also find electronic music to really shine. Strange though that my best type music is more mellow norah jones, katie melua and some of the unplugged live stuff to sound really good and dynamic and ive only got the 11s...

Recently ive a lot of experience directly comparing 40s, 19s and 11s

So basically i need to have a listen to harbeth
I'd be interested in your thoughts once you do.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Found out from my local dealer the new models will be about £4400... might be tempted if I can get a good enough trade in price.

Mac

www.realmusic.nice-albums.com

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Super HL5 plus gets a decent write-up in Stereophile, but the image of the insides isn't very impressive. Especially at the price they are:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/harbeth-super-hl5plus-loudspeaker#4eDvS7E8p8TFetTw.97

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting that link Infiniteloop.

So, the $6695 Super HL5's were worse at "communicating force" than Altec Valencias (which can be bought for about $1500)?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Think that the musical enjoyment would be less knowing about the (seemingly) 'lower' build quality of the cabinets?

Or how much more enjoyable would the actual music sound the the very expensive design speakers Gazzip mentioned than the harbeths?

I bet there would not be much in it either way if we did not know and was blind

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Think that the musical enjoyment would be less knowing about the (seemingly) 'lower' build quality of the cabinets?

Or how much more enjoyable would the actual music sound the the very expensive design speakers Gazzip mentioned than the harbeths?

Isn't this more about Harbeth gouging it's customers? If they reduced the price to better reflect the cost of manufacture, more people would be able to afford them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Andrewjvt said:

Isn't this more about Harbeth gouging it's customers? If they reduced the price to better reflect the cost of manufacture, more people would be able to afford them. 

Only harbeth?

Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
Andrewjvt said:

Only harbeth?

They've been in business for a long time (40 years apparently) and their speakers have never been cheap. I leave members to draw their own conclusions.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I paid about 3.5K for my SHL5+ and don't begrudge a penny of it... for the SQ that's achieved I bet some makes would be priced at twice the cost.

Magico is a brand I would like to hear, but doubt I'll ever be able to afford a pair.

Mac

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
Andrewjvt said:

Only harbeth?

Nah. I'm sure there are others.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
The magico speakers are a rip off.

Unless speaker bracing is as expensive as a cheap sports car

You mean along with custom aluminium extrusions, beryllium tweeters, nanotube diaphragms, titanium voice coils etc, all designed and made in-house?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts