Grounding wire for my TT

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Ive decided to start up a new thread for this issue, so to attract more help.

I recently bought myself my first proper TT. It comes bundled with a free intercconnect that has an earthing wire built in at both ends to connect to my amp/TT. This works fine. However Id prefer to use my own Russ Andrews cable as its much better quality, when I use this I get a buzzing sound as Im guessing my TT isnt earthed ? Ive tried just using the cable that came with the TT, just using the earthing wire bit while using the Russ Andrews cable but I get that buzz again. The same with another cable I had spare.

Where can I buy a seperate earthing cable from ?

Ive looked everywhere online with no success. I need one with connectors on both ends, they look like hooks, I dont know what they are called.

Hoping someone can help !

Stephen

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Any wire will do, within reason. You don't even need to terminate it with a connector, as long as the attachments at TT and Amp end can take bare wire. A spare piece of speaker wire for instance could be used. If you know a friendly electrician or electronics engineer, I'm sure you could ask them to make up a termnated cable for you.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
Hello,

Ive decided to start up a new thread for this issue, so to attract more help.

I recently bought myself my first proper TT. It comes bundled with a free intercconnect that has an earthing wire built in at both ends to connect to my amp/TT. This works fine. However Id prefer to use my own Russ Andrews cable as its much better quality, when I use this I get a buzzing sound as Im guessing my TT isnt earthed ? Ive tried just using the cable that came with the TT, just using the earthing wire bit while using the Russ Andrews cable but I get that buzz again. The same with another cable I had spare.

Where can I buy a seperate earthing cable from ?

Ive looked everywhere online with no success. I need one with connectors on both ends, they look like hooks, I dont know what they are called.

Hoping someone can help !

Stephen

Which turntable have you got?

Is the Russ Andrews lead a mains lead or are we talking about an interconnect?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Ive got the Pro-Ject Debut ES/3 TT, the Russ Andrews cable is an phono interconnect. The TT allows you to use your own cables. Maybe I need a shielded cable ?

Thanks.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
No other replies and I have to admit I am confused about this.
I’ve been on the Project website and it does not show the interconnect as removable but as you say it is I would try using the Russ Andrews with the original grounding wire from your Project interconnect but ensure the phono plugs on the ends of the Project lead are taped up to stop them grounding on the amp etc.

Hope this helps

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I think its a common issue, but each grounding issue can be unique. It is especially difficult for me to know what to do as its my first proper TT. What tape can I use on the Pro-Ject lead ?

Thank you,

Stephen

John Duncan

Hmm. I forget what my project interconnect looked like; is it kind of stuck together with the earth cable between the two main ones? Can you split them all so that you only have the earth cable and can then attach that from Debut to 640P with the RAs?

It definitely hums with just the RAs? I didn't find I had an earthing problem with my Project so didn't use the earth wire, if I remember...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
How does the earth wire connect to the turntable? Is it some kind of socket or a screw-up grounding-post?

To be honest the problem seems no more difficult than running any old thin bit of wire from the grounding-post/whatever is on your TT to the grounding-post on your amp/phono stage. If afterwards you're still getting buzzing when using your Russ Andrews cables, then unless the bit of wire you're using is broken somewhere along its length, the problem must lie elsewhere. Possibly the Russ Andrews cables are picking up interference, or maybe even their grounding wires are damaged.

If the supplied interconnects/grounding-wire work, then basically it’s just a process of elimination.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes John, it is that very same Pro-Ject interconnect that has the earth wire stuck to it. I have considered parting the earth wire bit as you suggest, but am terrified incase the hum/buzz is there afterwards ! Yes it hums with the RA cable and also with my old Chord Crimson cables too.

John Duncan said:
Hmm. I forget what my project interconnect looked like; is it kind of stuck together with the earth cable between the two main ones? Can you split them all so that you only have the earth cable and can then attach that from Debut to 640P with the RAs?

It definitely hums with just the RAs? I didn't find I had an earthing problem with my Project so didn't use the earth wire, if I remember...

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
The earth wire connects to the TT via a grouding post, you place the hook of the earth wire behind the post and then screw the post tight onto the wire. I think that the RA cable isnt screened, as its the Crystal CU cable but then the same issue arises from my Chord Crimson cables too. Maybe Im better off just sticking with the free interconnect/wire combo that came with the TT, at least it elimates the hum/buzz sound. Low patience with tech I have !

MajorFubar said:
How does the earth wire connect to the turntable? Is it some kind of socket or a screw-up grounding-post? To be honest the problem seems no more difficult than running any old thin bit of wire from the grounding-post/whatever is on your TT to the grounding-post on your amp/phono stage. If afterwards you're still getting buzzing when using your Russ Andrews cables, then unless the bit of wire you're using is broken somewhere along its length, the problem must lie elsewhere. Possibly the Russ Andrews cables are picking up interference, or maybe even their grounding wires are damaged. If the supplied interconnects/grounding-wire work, then basically it’s just a process of elimination.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...interesting...well if you’ve tried running a separate earth-lead from your TT to your amp/phono-box while using your Russ Andrews/Chord Crimson cables, but the hum persists, there must be something about the cables which means they just aren’t suited to this type of work.

But here’s a positive note: even if you wasn’t getting the hum with the cables, a popular train of thought on this board says that you wouldn’t notice a SQ improvement over and above the original cables anyway. But that’s a different argument for a different day lol!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
I think its a common issue, but each grounding issue can be unique. It is especially difficult for me to know what to do as its my first proper TT. What tape can I use on the Pro-Ject lead ?

Thank you,

Stephen

Use electrical insulation tape or tie wrap the ends back so they do not touch your TT or amp at either end. If this solves the problem then as MajorFubar says any old electirical wire will do as long as it is sheathed. Just trim ¾” of sheathing off at each end and wrap the bare cable around the binding posts.
If my original suggestion does not work then just use the cables supplied with the TT.
Just sit back and enjoy the vinyl.

Disclaimer. Just in case you are doing something different to my understanding or suggestions I take no responsibility in case of an accident. Just CMA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts