I’m
currently listening through the headphone socket of a Rotel pre-amplifier
RC-1580 (+Audiolab 8200 CD-player and Chord Company ChameleonPlus analogue
interconnects).

I’m
wonderinf if I could improve my listening experience even further by investing
in dedicated equipment.

Can any of
you experts give some advice of what I should be looking for?

Do
headphone amplifiers with tone controls exist?

I’m willing
to spend quite some money if I can get the garantuee of some expert people on
this forum that I will get an even better sound out of my Grado’s!

Thanks!!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The Grado's do not need a dedicated headphone amp as they can be driven well from your amp. If you was talking about something like the Beyerdynamic T1 or Senn 650HD at 600 Ohm, Then an argument can be made.

Your source is good and at this stage you should only focus on improving that if anything.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As the previous posts have said I don't think you are going to gain much from buying a headphone amplifier. I am also not aware of any headphone amps with tone controls either.......not sure why you would need them. You would probably be better of spending your hard earned cash on some better headphone's instead of an amplifier IMO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies!

What are your suggestions about better headphones then?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies!

What are your suggestions about better headphones then?

A

Anonymous

I've an extensive collection of over 3000 CD's of different genres of music (classical, mainstream rock and pop, blues, jazz, dance,...everything but R&B). My budget could reach about 1000-1500 euro for headphones (and amp), and a few 1000 euros if I sell my current hi-fi-kit (see above) and upgrade to a better universal player and amplifier(suggestions...???), when it's worth the upgrade.

So far, I prefered the sound of Grado headphones (extremely detailed and upfront spacious soundstage). I've quite a good hearing, but I need some expert advice about hi-fi-equipment that could rise to my expectations.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

I've an extensive collection of over 3000 CD's of different genres of music (classical, mainstream rock and pop, blues, jazz, dance,...everything but R&B). My budget could reach about 1000-1500 euro for headphones (and amp), and a few 1000 euros if I sell my current hi-fi-kit (see above) and upgrade to a better universal player and amplifier(suggestions...???), when it's worth the upgrade.

So far, I prefered the sound of Grado headphones (extremely detailed and upfront spacious soundstage). I've quite a good hearing, but I need some expert advice about hi-fi-equipment that could rise to my expectations.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Thanks again!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
BBB said:

Not sure if I or anyone else on here can give you expert advice, an opinion maybe.

For that sum of money and as you like a detailed, upfront and spacious sound I would seriously consider some Lambda's from the STAX line up. Something like the SRS-3170 system would suit quite nicely IMO, it would definitely be best to audition before committing to purchase though as electrostatics aren't for everyone. I started off with Grado's and initially enjoyed listening to some types of music on them but always felt there was room for improvement. Hence I took the plunge and purchased my first Stax setup and have had upgraditus ever since :grin: ....they are fantastic.

For suggestions on your other kit you might want to start a new thread in the Hi-Fi section to get the most responses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts